Laptop Overheating

Nepsyde

Hey

I have a ASUS PRO80H Laptop that i bought second hand (to slow down globalization :sneaky: ) but after 3 months of using it, i just realized that the laptop actually overheats.

This is how it overheats:

When the laptop is booted from cold, after 30-45 mins usage, the underneath part of the laptop starts to get hot or hotter. After that, it will just turn off all suddenly and bottom of the laptop is actually really really hot.

Once it cools down a little, and you turn on the laptop then the fan kicks in and cools it right down and works well after that, but my problem seems to be that on cold boot the fan doesn't turn on at all during the first boot (first time booting cold).

Is there anything i can do??

It's a really nice laptop but this is the only issue im having on it. Currently, i have just been using it 30 mins, and restarting the laptop. It works well but i wanna know if there is a way to turn on the laptop during the first cold boot??

Just happens on the first time you boot the laptop (cold boot) but after that it works perfectly ..

Hope i haven't confused ya hehe

here is a picture of what the fan looks like (not my pictures): TradeMe

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Just happens on the first time you boot the laptop (cold boot) but after that it works perfectly.

I guess you know that "cold boot" does not refer to temperature but to the fact it i not software initiated so the state of the machine is totally previsible,... temperature aside.

So what you describe is two cold boots, only difference being temperature. Have you updated your Bios to 2.20 already?

One efficient method is to put the laptop on raisers, so that air moves easily under it.

Some are even sold for real money.

You can also find flat blowers designed specifically to put laptops over.

However, a computer should be able to work normally... Check that all fans rotate normally, air ducts+fans+exchangers are free of dust, and voltages and frequencies are normal.

What surface are you using it on? laptops are not bad to be used on your Laps or one a blanket like your bed or something.

The only thing I can tell you is to clean out the heatsink. You also didn't say which part of the laptop gets the hottest? Is it under the CPU, RAM, Hard Drive?

Is the room temperature really hot? Everything does matter. Maybe try to add some thermal paste on top of the CPU, but I don't know really.

I use to use a laptop that got really hot and it never restarted.

i think its just a laptop thing to over heat (mostly, i know other things can come into play) but, like the other guy said, some kind of stand helps. i have a flat basket that i can flip over and still rest on my lap, the computer goes on top, and it can breath way better.

also, if you have a box fan or are running the AC set the computer next to it. i have a box fan set up and just blast my computer with it (trying to hit the processor and hard disk area the most)

or if your not getto like me, they actually make platform/fan cooling systems for laptops that plug into the USB for power.

and i don't know how comfortable you are with taking your computer apart (laptops are known to be head aches in this respect) but i took out the CPU fan and cleaned it and its cover and the heat sink...and did a general dust cleaning. dust is like an insulator. and plus when it is blocking the CPU fan that doesn't help ether. anyway after i cleaned that up, i noticed a difference in heat management and performance (grant it the performance boost was minimal it was there all the same)

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have the windows 7 bios updates for this laptop. does anyone know where i could get one from? and how to update the bios also?

second thing is, im not sure if the fan needs replacing only, because when i restart the laptop the fan works perfectly.

So im hoping someone knows how i can update my bios (win 7 version)

you probably have dust bunnies...or a dust wall. i had that with my P4 laptop...ended up selling mine, but it arrived DOA...set me back a bit, but whatever. last time i send a laptop USPS.

open it up, take off the heatsink, clean it out with some compressed air...preferably outside, so you don't get the dust bunnies anywhere else were they'll cause a big problem.

put it back in, a little bit of new TIM, and you should have a happier laptop.

if that's not the problem, get a new heatsink, as there could be a problem with the heatpipe (not user replaceable).