Slipstream question

cosg

Hello, I have a Windows XP Boot Disc that has absolutely no service packs on it. In fact, when I run nLite and pick the installation cd as the source, it is recognized as "Windows XP Professional RTM (5.1.2600.0)" I've read some things that lead me to believe that I have to slipstream SP2, then slipstream SP3. I've read some other things that make me think that I can go streamline straight to SP3, bypassing the SP2 slipstreaming. Which is the way that I need to do it, since the boot cd I have has no service packs on it?

If I do indeed have to slipstream SP2 as well as SP3, do they have to be done in different sessions? (e.g. one session to create a SP2 boot disc, then use the SP2 boot disc as source to create a SP3 boot disc)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
SP3 contains all previous updates.

this is not true. To install SP3, either Windows XP Service Pack 1a (SP1a) or Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) must already be installed.

here it is in black and white.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...p3/default.mspx

I would slipstream sp2 and then sp3 just to be safe.

Edited by lonk

The only thing you will miss if you skip SP2 is the ability to skip the product key during installation...

Thx Kel!

Do you know the exactly reason for this behaviour?

XP-SP3 by MSDN is able to be installed wihout key, isn`t it?

• 2 weeks later...

That is by design. VLK editions are the most pirated because they don't need activation. Therefore, XP SP3 VLK must always have a valid key during installation. It cannot be skipped.