Plan For A New Rig?

vegettoxp

Hello there Guys, It getting to that time again and I need to start to work on my Blue Print for my Next Rig. Below you will find my current rig info. I build a new Rig every 3 – 4 years. So I wanted to get your thoughts on Hardware selection and what is the best direction to go into. There are certain Brand Names that I am gona follow. Processor – Intel, Motherboard – Asus, and of course OS – Microsoft. I just wanted to get your guys thoughts on the Main Components that what u guys recommend.

I believe that my last Rig that I built name “Trance-Fuzion” was between 4,000 – 5,000 Dollars. I buy parts one by one so I don’t get a HUGE Credit Bill. So again just wanted your thoughts on Hardware Components and your recommendations or info I need to know. As always Thank You for all your Help.

Quick Current Rig Info:

Case – Lian Li

PS - Corsair 620HX

MB - Asus Maximus Formula SE

Processor - Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 at 3.2GHz

Ram – 8GB G-Skills

Graphic Card – 8800GT Graphic Card

HD – Four WD Hard Drives

Thank U All

a core i7 system would be an idea. ASUS makes good mobos for just about anything so your set there. Graphics is a touchy subject with direct-x11 cards just starting to appear, waiting may be a good idea to see which is best for what you want... does 8Gb RAM make a major increase in performance? to me it sounds a little excesive but thats just me. if you plan on having an SLI system, a good case can make all the difference between sweet graphics and a melted GPU so choose wisely. other than that you might want to consider a solid state drive or two, and maybe an ordinary 1Tb for things like documents, media and backups.

I would of assumed he was suggesting the same budget as last time.

Im sure he wants more RAM so 12GB would be more suitable than 6GB (Corsair Dominator, maybe)

definitely a 5870 or maybe a 5870X2 when it comes out

Well there is no time frame besides July of next Year. I know Intel is coming out with 32-nm 6-Core Processor in Q1 2010 and I think Motherboard and Processor will be Bought next year, including the system Ram. There are certain hardware that I can buy now and there are some that I have to by them later next year.

you've got a quad core with 8gb of RAM...skip buying a whole new rig and just grab the mid-range ATI 5xxx series, and you'll have a whole new monster.

no need to buy new at this point (with i7 out, and i5 still in the works).

So you recommend me just upgrading couple of this in my current Rig. But in your opinion what would be the best Replacement for my current QX9770 Processor. If not now, later I will need to build a new Rig. Usually if I am planning to change few things, I don't waste time replacing the whole system, but when I plan to Upgrade my Processor, Motherboard and System Ram, then I plan to Build a New Rig. I am not sure how current my current system is. I know the processor is coming to EOL soon and I am a person who like to play with new toys.

Your Thoughts?

wow, if you're not planning on buying till july then don't bother looking now.

it will just be speculation.

i suggest getting a 5870 or one of the next gen cards as an upgrade for this year if you game alot.

otherwise you are set, your cpu is still a great one.

The more and more I read your guys comments, the more and more I am stepping away from the Idea of building a new Rig now. It looks like all u guys are saying just upgrade certain hardware not all. And to be perfectly honest with u guys, I really don't have any problem with my current system. Besides Graphic Card and thinks here and there.

So if you guys are saying No to to Build a New Rig Now, What Hadware would u guys recommend me Upgrading Anyway?

Here is a Full Rig Info:

PC Case - Lian Li PC-7FW (BLK)

PS - Corsair HX620W

MB - Asus Maximus Formula SE (X38 Chipset)

Processor - Intel Core 2 Quad QX9770 3.2GHz (Not OC Yet)

Heatsink - Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme

Total Ram - 8GB G-Skills (Not OC) DDR2 667MHz

Current Graphic Card - nVidia 8800GT (Single - Can't Do SLI Board Supports Crose-Fire) But this time I am open to other Graphic Card like ATI because nvidia is doing alot of crazy things and I haven't head one good thing about GT300

HD - 4 WD (One of them Raptor 150GB)

Roms - Two DVD Burners (Samsung and Poineer)

Blu-Ray Drive - I will get one for SURE!

And anything elso that I am forgetting.

Thank you for all your guys help. You see it pays to listen to your guys Advice. Again Thank You!

running one of the fastest quad core CPUs out right now (at least for the LGA775 platform) there's zero need to change. you've got all the power you could possibly need in that rig. what applications are you using that could possibly even begin to put that system under enough load that you would need to switch?

if you want some serious graphics overload, you could drop a dime on a pair of 4870x2's for some X-Fire. Some quad GPU mclovin right there.

the only places you have left to really work on is RAM, where you could go all the way to DDR2-1066 (not much point in it, but you could). 8gb is pretty solid, i'm running 8gb for my workstation, which i use for linux development, so i now see 2 or 3 virtual machines cracking away (doesn't help that my second monitor died). But even then, I have a dual core, and i only see minor lag when i have more than one virtual machine open. I've been thinking of moving to a quad, but i just don't have the money for it. and with i7 on the move, i'm just waiting for a used quad core to be in my price range.

but unless you really have the upgrade itch, there's no point. 32nm is on the move, so buying the i7's that are out is a waste of money, you'll buy it, and it'll be the fastest thing for about a month, but then all the little rich kids will get systems that make yours look like crap.

aside from graphics (because i originally wanted the 8800GTS 640) my system is my dream rig. E6750 with 8gb of RAM...what more can i ask for? the 9600GT is good, so no complaints, but the 8800GTS just has more beef.

running one of the fastest quad core CPUs out right now (at least for the LGA775 platform) there's zero need to change. you've got all the power you could possibly need in that rig. what applications are you using that could possibly even begin to put that system under enough load that you would need to switch?

if you want some serious graphics overload, you could drop a dime on a pair of 4870x2's for some X-Fire. Some quad GPU mclovin right there.

the only places you have left to really work on is RAM, where you could go all the way to DDR2-1066 (not much point in it, but you could). 8gb is pretty solid, i'm running 8gb for my workstation, which i use for linux development, so i now see 2 or 3 virtual machines cracking away (doesn't help that my second monitor died). But even then, I have a dual core, and i only see minor lag when i have more than one virtual machine open. I've been thinking of moving to a quad, but i just don't have the money for it. and with i7 on the move, i'm just waiting for a used quad core to be in my price range.

but unless you really have the upgrade itch, there's no point. 32nm is on the move, so buying the i7's that are out is a waste of money, you'll buy it, and it'll be the fastest thing for about a month, but then all the little rich kids will get systems that make yours look like crap.

aside from graphics (because i originally wanted the 8800GTS 640) my system is my dream rig. E6750 with 8gb of RAM...what more can i ask for? the 9600GT is good, so no complaints, but the 8800GTS just has more beef.

Thank you for the input. I will look into your recommendations on the Ram. I am thinking to myself too that my system is running pretty good and there are only few things that need to be changed and top of my head is (Hard Drive, Graphic Card, and Maybe System Ram)(I am not sure about the System board yet. I guess I can get a X58 Chipset MB that supports 775).

Thanks

Not only; first point was storage (making a SSD the focal data source instead of that surpassed Hard Disc Drives-HDD).

Well, what would you like in a case? Does a big one bother you?

Well so far the Build Rig Idea is on the Back Burner now, now I am gona follow your guys advice and upgrade the following Items:

HD - Intel SSD 80GB (Recommend Model)?

Graphic Card - ATI 5870 or Higher (Depends on Price and nVidia GT300 News)

Motherboard - Asus Rampage X48 (Your Guys Thoughts)

System Ram - Current 8GB DDR2 667 (G-Skill) )(Yes or No)

Case - You guys recommend (I perfer Mid Tower) I had a Stacker 830 Before TO BIG

On All These Updates (Your Thoughts Guys?)

upgrade video card, yes.

upgrade to SSD, if you want, i think it's a waste of money right now.

no need to upgrade ram or motherboard, and why a new case?

before you said next july, is that still what you are thinking?

you make it sounds like you want to upgrade now..

upgrade video card, yes.

upgrade to SSD, if you want, i think it's a waste of money right now.

no need to upgrade ram or motherboard, and why a new case?

before you said next july, is that still what you are thinking?

you make it sounds like you want to upgrade now..

Well if I only need to upgrade some hardware, I am still gona get them one by one, but after reading alot of input from you guys, I have decided not to build a new Rig until next year have there will actually some compention for my QX9770. Now I am just gona update that u guys are recommending, especially the graphic card.

Actually I think you would find no difference between an 8800GTS 640 and a 9600GT 512. You would however see a difference if you meant an 8800GTS 512 G92 as this is definitely faster than a 9600GT as it is more of a 9800GTX. Just a little correction :sneaky: