Plan For A New Rig?

vegettoxp

Correct - for the most part, the 9xxx bits are exactly the same as the 8xxx bits. The differences come down to core clock, amount of and speed of RAM, etc. Zenskas is right - an 8800GTS is most definitely a better card than a 9600GT.

Indeed - I ended up with a 9800GTS because I couldn't find any 8800's here at the moment, but I still run an 8600GT in my MCE box because it seems to work the best (perf-wise) of all the cards I've got. In speaking to others running Vista and Win7 MCE, this actually seems to be sort of a consensus - there's something about the 8600 in particular that makes it do particularly well in that environment.

Correct - for the most part, the 9xxx bits are exactly the same as the 8xxx bits. The differences come down to core clock, amount of and speed of RAM, etc. Zenskas is right - an 8800GTS is most definitely a better card than a 9600GT.

No, no, no, I said a ***G92*** version of an 8800GTS is definitely better than a 9600GT, not just any 8800GTS (G80)

well, i said that...didn't i? i have the 9600GT because that's what became available to me, but i'd rather an 8800...

Yes but like I said, an older 8800GTS 640 would be hardly any difference at all to a 9600GT (actually a 9600GT would be a slight tad faster), and so I would probably rather a 9600GT and unless you are talking in terms of a G92 512MB 8800GTS (not the older 640MB 8800GTS) then you should rather your 9600GT too!!!

So hopefully you guys understand me now :wacko:

Basically:

The 8800GTS with the G80 chip isn't as good as the 9600GT (by a little)

The 8800GTS with the G92 chip is better than the 9600GT (by a decent little bit...not sure how much better exactly)

Oh yeah and the 9600GT uses less power and creates less heat than a G80 8800GTS...

Edited by Zenskas

No, no, no, I said a ***G92*** version of an 8800GTS is definitely better than a 9600GT, not just any 8800GTS (G80)
Correct - I didn't think I needed to quantify again, as I'm assuming our OP isn't an id*** and can figure that out for himself since it's already been mentioned once ;).

Correct - I didn't think I needed to quantify again, as I'm assuming our OP isn't an id*** and can figure that out for himself since it's already been mentioned once ;) .

However you said I was correct in saying an 8800GTS is better than a 9600GT and I only wanted to clarify you meant a G92 cored 8800GTS, which you didn't say :whistle: so that would kinda confuse bonestonne as he did think an older G80 cored card was faster than a 9600GT :angel

Edited by Zenskas

with the monster computer i used for a while (dell XPS series) the 8800GTS 640 had more than enough power, and seemed faster than what i have, for what i do.

i know the difference between the G80 and G92....i just don't know every model inside out and backwards...either way, at this point I'd want an ATI Radeon 5870x2.