Seagate 500gb short circuit. (ST3500320AS 7200.11)

Hi,

Attached are pictures of a HDD that has a burnt pcb chip.

The HDD when connected to the pc would cause the PC to not power on at all.

Would like to know if anyone had this problem before how this can be fixed? I read that chip can be removed and drive should work. Or is there a way to replace the chip?

Thanks,

320AS-720011.jpg

320AS-720011-board.jpg

Edited by harwin

The burnt diode is a unidirectional transient voltage suppressor (it also protects against reversed polarity), and it's on the 5v rail (the other one to the right is on the 12v rail). It shorted out (again, due to voltage peak or being plugged backwards) and it can be removed no problem (it's merely a protection, and it sure did its job here).

The thing is, I'd be seriously worried. The drive itself will most likely work after removing the diode, that's not the concern. The concern is what made this happen? If you plugged it backwards (hey, I've seen it done before), then we have our answer (just don't plug it backwards again!) but otherwise... I'd be VERY worried about the power supply's output (nasty voltage peaks can and will damage anything). In fact, if it was a nasty peak on the 5v rail, chances are that this diode saved your entire computer by shorting... And these things don't typically short like this for no reason.

I'd be doubly worried if it was a no-name generic PSU (even more so now as it had to provide power on a short circuited 5v rail).

• 1 month later...

harwin,

I was wondering how did you fix this. I have the exact same problem. I finally got the board off of the hdd and i compared my problem with your. It is the exact same part of the board. If you could share how you fixed it, that would be helpful to me.

Thanks!