Trouble making menu.c32 boot an installed vista system- SOLVED

Apologies for the post immediately below this one. It's the solution to a different problem, and it works.

But here is the solution to the problem originally posed:

LABEL boot-harddrive

MENU LABEL Boot Hard Drive

KERNEL pxelinux.0

APPEND -

DHCP has already set the tftpboot root directory where pxelinux.0 resides in the dhcp-root-path statement. Assuming the bios defaults to the network, the network hands it pxelinux.0 which is a similar bootloader to what it would have gotten if it had gone to the hard drive in the first place. This is handy if you want to install from the network and not have the installer's reboots result in starting the install process over again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

I've gotten some good information by reading material here, but it seems like the posts/answers ratio is not high.

Anybody have any thoughts about this? In some respects it's good because we don't have a lot of people providing answers who don't know what they're talking about. On the other hand, some things like this one are not rocket science. Was the list telling me to RTFInternet?

The solution was:

LABEL Vista

MENU LABEL Vista

KERNEL http://path-to-installer-image/startrom.0

APPEND -

You need to use gPXE.

Go to www.etherboot.org for the rest of the procedure.

Hi Folks,

I have a working Vista installation which boots into the "D" partition, partition 2 of hd0, or sd0. If I just power up the machine with the network unplugged, Vista comes up fine. I also have a PXE boot setup that boots to a menu.c32 menu on which one of the choices is the already-installed Vista on "D". I would like to be able to use that menu to boot the installed Vista.

The menu.cfg entry is:

LABEL Vista

MENU LABEL Vista

COM32 chain.c32

APPEND boot ntldr=/bootmgr

I've also tried KERNEL chain.c32 in place of COM32.

When it boots it says

chain.c32. OK

Cannot read Master Boot Record

Any suggestions?

Thanks

John

Edited by sealnose