Where did Wave out mix go?

tal ormanda

HI

Are you talking about the Sound Recorder software that is used to record, or the actual volume mixer panel?

If the Sound Recorder software, it is still there, under All Programs > Accesories

If the Volume Mixer is now under Control Panel > Sound

from there you can select the default recording input and set the volume

Make sure you right-click in that window and make certain that "show disabled devices" is checked, as well as "show disconnected devices". Other than that, if it doesn't show, it would seem it wasn't installed for some reason. Note it won't display if the audio driver or device doesn't support the wave out (in software driver or hardware DAC, respectively).

Are you saying thait "disappeared" from a running OS where it used to work, or did you upgrade Windows from a previous version and now it's gone?

There was Vista Home Premium on here before where it did show. I formatted and put on 7 Professional, now it does not appear. And yes, I checked Show Disconnected Devices & Show Disabled Devices.

Edited by tal ormanda

• 2 weeks later...

I remember seeing the Stereo Mix in Vista but no longer in Windows 7. They either removed it for copyright infringement or they don't want people to record streaming music ;P lol but I'm seriously considering whether it's worth switching back to Vista b/c of this huge inconvenience, as I tend to mix music together and record it with a 3rd party software.

Edited by djDeathx

I remember seeing the Stereo Mix in Vista but no longer in Windows 7. They either removed it for copyright infringement or they don't want people to record streaming music ;P lol but I'm seriously considering whether it's worth switching back to Vista b/c of this huge inconvenience, as I tend to mix music together and record it with a 3rd party software.

Stereo Mix will show up if you have a driver and hardware that supports it - otherwise, if one or the other is missing, you won't see it.