Website getting redirected

newprouser

Hello all, I've a weird problem.

when i try to access a website xxx.co.cc , its getting automatically redirected to

another unrelated website yyy.co.cc

while I tried using a different browser, the website opens , without images and in

a purely text only fashion, clinking on some of the links, again redirects to the

other website.

I've spoken with the admin and some other members of the same site, and they

have no problems. the same has been confirmed by co.cc and the webhost staff.

only 2-3 people in all face this problem.

another thing is that if the site is accessed through proxy, it works flawlessly. I used

opera's turbo mode as proxy and thats the same case for the other people who faced

this problem.

Please advice, as to how to correct this issue

thanks.

It would help if you provide a link to the affecting websites :)

the site for which I'm facing the problem is www.indiachatforum.co.cc and its getting

(always) redirected to www.chat.co.cc

as I mentioned before not everyone accessing it is facing the problem.

hi

could be a DNS problem

try to check your hosts file

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file#Re...g_local_domains

regards,

nolo

well i was using open DNS at the time of problem, i tried changed back to my ISP's dns and

still the problem persists.

my hosts file has no problem, i've checked it.

p.s : A small doubt - hosts file is used only by IE and windows apps or ALL browsers refer to the hosts file ?

Edited by newprouser

If your problem first appeared whilst you were using OpenDNS, it does seem to me also, the fault lies with the hosts file, before DNS, if you follow the reasoning.  

Whilst it is difficult to know your exact set up, I would personally run through these checks in the following order.

1) Scan for any malware with at least two decent malware scanners, A-squared, Malwarebytes, SAS for example.

2) If you have a hosts file manager and it gives the options of 'merge' and 'overwrite', make sure 'overwrite' is selected and download the hosts file updates again.

3) Empty the disc cache on your browser/browsers.

4) Delete any cookies you have stored that relate to both the websites in question.

5) Go back to using OpenDNS and recheck if the problem still persists when you type the website address into the browser rather than click on any link you have stored in favourites etc.

OpenDNS under the Support tab have a 'Cache Check' and 'Site Checker' facility.

HTH

Edited by lightning slinger

If your problem first appeared whilst you were using OpenDNS, it does seem to me also, the fault lies with the hosts file, before DNS, if you follow the reasoning.  

Whilst it is difficult to know your exact set up, I would personally run through these checks in the following order.

1) Scan for any malware with at least two decent malware scanners, A-squared, Malwarebytes, SAS for example.

2) If you have a hosts file manager and it gives the options of 'merge' and 'overwrite', make sure 'overwrite' is selected and download the hosts file updates again.

3) Empty the disc cache on your browser/browsers.

4) Delete any cookies you have stored that relate to both the websites in question.

5) Go back to using OpenDNS and recheck if the problem still persists when you type the website address into the browser rather than click on any link you have stored in favourites etc.

OpenDNS under the Support tab have a 'Cache Check' and 'Site Checker' facility.

HTH

I tried all of them , but still the problem persists.

One thing to note is that, it works fine with opera turbo,

which would not be possible if its a case of DNS or hosts file problem.

One thing to note is that, it works fine with opera turbo,

which would not be possible if its a case of DNS or hosts file problem.

Curious!!!  :blink:

Have you tried adding www.chat.co.cc to your hosts file to point at 127.0.0.1 so you cannot access it at all?

Although I am unsure of where along the chain it will throw up the unavailable message or whether it will prevent redirection in the first place.

Also under Opera Site Prefs. Network. Enable automatic redirection uncheck.

Edited by lightning slinger