Windows 7 login to server issues

Compulsion

Hello All,

I have a serious issue with Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. After installing Windows 7 Ult on a new motherboard and setting everything up, loads the desktop and sees the network. So far so good, I double click on the my computer icon and after the window opens I type in the address for the server and a login box comes up, I type in the user name and password and then the box changes and I get this STUPID windows security box with the name of the PC and a \name of server and then ask for a password. This process is killing me, and I can not login to the server. On any other Vista or Windows XP system I can type in the address of the server and type in the user name and password and get right into the server. So what gives with Windows 7? What kind of BS is this? Can someone help me to figure this out. I have already gone into user credentials and tried to change that, did not work. I am part of the right work group. I have attached a screen shot of the login screen I get.

post-96695-1253637585_thumb.png

post-96695-1253638315_thumb.png

Edited by Compulsion

Appreciate the response Netman66, well I went into the network settings and I could not change the Domain, and when I changed the prefix in the cred area it allowed me to try to input the right user name and password but after I hit enter it defaulted back to putting the computer name before the user name for the server and would not allow me to get to the server. It is really strange that I am having this kind of trouble...

This is the new credentials manager from Vista onwards - it defaults to the realm your logged-on user resides in.

If all machines are in a domain and you logon with your domain account, you have no issues as the common security realm (Active Directory).

For accessing machines that do not have a common security realm, you need to specify it as Netman66 pointed out.

So if you are logged onto ComputerA as local account User1 and want to access a shared resource on ComputerB, you need to specify a user account on (or trusted by) ComputerB (e.g. local account User2).

You would then enter as your username ComputerB\User2, along with User2's password in the second field.

What you will notice is that as soon as you type the '\' character, the Domain will update with the text before it (ComputerB in this example).

Local user accounts cannot be trusted across the network - so ComputerA cannot provide credentials that ComputerB can use, even if the machines both have a User1 account with an identical password (the crude form of impersonation used years ago).

Sometimes the opposite occurs, and you are logged on with a domain account so the Active Directory domain becomes the default realm, but you might want to use a local account (e.g. for elevation) - entering '.' as the realm is a shortcut for the local computer.

e.g. .\AdminUser

I understand what your saying Mr Snrub, the server we have in the lab is a file share and image server which has been doing fine for Vista and XP. I think what happened was the systems when going through the installing process someone chose public network instead of home or work and so it must have setup some different permissions which conflicted with the server. Once I reinstalled Windows 7 on the systems and selected home or work network I was able to use the standard login and password and that allowed me to get into the server. Some interesting nuances with Windows 7. Always a learning experience with a new OS.

I just do not know why it would come up with the Domain as the computer name, this should not be.

So my standard login is like:

Address bar: \\whatever then a windows would pop up asking for user name and password, type in all the good stuff and press enter then the server window pops up.

Edited by Compulsion

I just do not know why it would come up with the Domain as the computer name, this should not be.
If you're logged in as a local user on SKULLCRUSHER-PC then yes, the Domain should say that by default (indicating the local SAM database on that computer).

I believe the Home Group concept was created for the multi-PC home environments on Windows 7 to allow the concept of shared, trusted credentials without the need for a Domain Controller, but I've never looked into it personally (I set up a domain in a VM on Hyper-V instead, and made the client machines members of it).