Remote Registry Service

AnnieMS

My WinXP Pro and WinXP Tablet computers are on a home workgroup using a wireless/ethernet router.

According to the description given, it sounds like Remote Registry Service is a service that would be used in domains or for remote assistance or maybe remote desktop. I gave up using remote desktop to access my desktop from my tablet because programs [even MS Word] frequently freeze in every Windows OS I've had regardless of how much memory or disk space I have and you need that CTL+ALT+DEL to end the "not responding" program and it doesn't work remotely.

Does anyone know what Remote Registry Service is necessary for and if it represents a security risk? It depends of Remote Procedure Call but no components were listed as depending on it.

Hi

I found these info for you:

The regsvc.exe process allow remote administration of your pc's registry settings. You should leave this process running if your computer is administered over a network. Generally you should leave this process running. If you computer is a stand-alone desktop pc and not on a network it is safe for you to disable this process. regsvc.exe is flagged as a system process and does not appear to be a security risk. However, removing Remote Registry service may adversly impact your system.

Windows description of this service:

Enables remote users to modify registry settings on this computer. If this service is stopped, the registry can be modified only by users on this computer. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Basically if you are behind a Firewall/NAT (normal home routers have these protections), well you do not need to worry so much about possible intrusions.....

Edited by Nolo

Thanks to all. From the info Nolo gathered it sounds like the service is necessary for computers in a domain setting - where the networked computers are managed by a computer running a Windows server OS. In a workgroup you can't manage computers over the network - you have to do it locally on the computer. So I'll turn it off and it's nice to know others have done it without any problems.

Security-wise the threats currently [that I know of] -viruses and malware - act locally even if you get them over the net. But you never know what the bad guys are gonna try next.

Someday I may read up on and try out remote desktop again. I was using it so I could use my later version of Word on the other computer or run PaperPort. I don't know if you could install software or access network connections and make changes - that could come in handy. I think you'd still be seen by the computer as acting locally, but I don't know what services Remote Desktop uses.

I think remote desktop uses the terminal services service.

As for remote registry theres no reason to leave it running, you dont need it to manage another computer,

you only really use it if you connect to a remote computers registry in regedit.

Its not actually automatic anymore in Vista/7