Slipstreamed XP SP2 and SATA drivers but still BSOD

paulfoel

Hmmm. If I let the machine boot on its own now - its still trying to boot into windows 2000 which is a little strange.

I was initially trying to get Windows 2000 loaded on this using a saved image and Acronis backup and recovery.

Maybe I need to clear out whats there first and fdisk the disk or something. Tried to boot using gpartd boot disk but it cant find the SATA disk....

Trying again with a proper SP2 XP CD (rather than original XP and then slipstream in SP2).
You hopefully know, that the actual XP version is the one with integrated SP3. Why don't you slipstream SP3 instead of SP2?

Any reason why it wont work with XP SP2 though? I guess I could try my SP2 source and slipstream SP3 into it as well.
Ok, I thought that you didn't know the actually available SP version.
My downloaded driver file contains about 10 drivers. At the moment, in nlite I'm just selecting all of them.
There is just 1 driver named IASTOR.SYS, but this driver s supporting a couple of different Intel® SATA Controllers.
I assumed that the windows xp install would just find the right one.
Yes, it will (unless the SATA hdd is not connected to any of the supported SATA Controllers).
However, someone on another forum is saying, I think, that I need to pick the right one?
AFAIK this information is not correct.

Strange. I can see no reason why it wont work. Maybe I do need to clear out and fdisk the HD or something first? As far as I can see this should be working ok.

Hmmm. If I let the machine boot on its own now - its still trying to boot into windows 2000 which is a little strange.
This is not strange at all, if you let the machine boot on its own.

You have to hit any key when prompted, if you want to boot off the XP CD.

Maybe I need to clear out whats there first and fdisk the disk or something.
Usually this s not necessary. Once the hdd is detected by the XP Setup, you can choose the partition, where you want to get XP installed, and format it by using the NTFS file system.

This is not strange at all, if you let the machine boot on its own.

You have to hit any key when prompted, if you want to boot off the XP CD.

Maybe I need to clear out whats there first and fdisk the disk or something.
Usually this s not necessary. Once the hdd is detected by the XP Setup, you can choose the partition, where you want to get XP installed, and format it by using the NTFS file system.

Yeh. I know i gotta hit key to boot from cd. I was just surprised that some old stuff is still on the HDD.

Have fdisked it so theres nothing on the HD. Tried one of my slipstreamed SP2 CDs from yesterday but still the same. ie. BSOD because HDD is not detected by setup.

Just so we're talking the same here - this is EXACTLY what happens.

1. Boots from CD - message SETUP is initializing

2. Windows Setup at top, at bottom SETUP IS LOADING FILEs (takes a while)

3. Then SETUP IS STARTING WINDOWS.

4. BSOD with STOP ERROR 7B.

Fernando - I'm sure you're getting sick of me but I'm now getting somewhere....

Used Nlite to slipstream SP3 in and the single driver of IntelR ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller.

If I used Nlite to burn the ISO to CD it still didnt work.

However, if I take the amended XP source directory and use USB_multiboot (http://www.msfn.org/board/install-xp-usb-t111406.html) and then boot from USB drive it goes into SETUP and recognises the disk !!!!!

I did notice however that setup running from USB stick is 100x faster than USB CD drive (took about 10 mins for setup to load windows files).

Used Nlite to slipstream SP3 in and the single driver of IntelR ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller.

If I used Nlite to burn the ISO to CD it still didnt work.

What does mean "it didn't work"? Has your hdd not been detected by the Setup or did you just get a BSOD?
However, if I take the amended XP source directory and use USB_multiboot (http://www.msfn.org/board/install-xp-usb-t111406.html) and then boot from USB drive it goes into SETUP and recognises the disk !!!!!
Did the amended XP source content the Intel textmode driver?
I did notice however that setup running from USB stick is 100x faster than USB CD drive (took about 10 mins for setup to load windows files).
It is wellknown, that the USB connection is much faster than the optical drive one. Even much faster is the OS installation off an eSATA drive.

What does mean "it didn't work"? Has your hdd not been detected by the Setup or did you just get a BSOD?

Same as before. Gets to the bit where it says setup is starting windows and then BSOD.

Did the amended XP source content the Intel textmode driver?

Yes. I used Nlite to do this.

It is wellknown, that the USB connection is much faster than the optical drive one. Even much faster is the OS installation off an eSATA drive.

Yeh. Not quite sure why USB worked and CD didnt though.

Although, I'm happy that its working at all. Nlite is a great tool BTW.

Not quite sure why USB worked and CD didnt though.
I suspect, that it's an issue of your SATA connected optical CD drive, which has boot problems while running in AHCI Mode. You may search for a firmware update to solve the problem.
Although, I'm happy that its working at all.
So you got XP running at least? This would verify, that you took the correct AHCI textmode driver.

Not quite sure why USB worked and CD didnt though.
I suspect, that it's an issue of your SATA connected optical CD drive, which has boot problems while running in AHCI Mode. You may search for a firmware update to solve the problem.
Although, I'm happy that its working at all.
So you got XP running at least? This would verify, that you took the correct AHCI textmode driver.

Yes. I guess I probably had the right drivers all along and it was an issue with the CD drive.