cygwin for sshd on XP - guides needed

graysky

I'd like to locate an update-to-date guide detailing the steps needed to run an sshd server on XP. I found several (linked below) but I can't get it working to save my life. Is anyone doing it?

Thanks.

Links:

http://www.chinese-watercolor.com/LRP/prin...ygwin-sshd.html

http://lifehacker.com/205090/geek-to-live-...home-ssh-server

http://ist.uwaterloo.ca/~kscully/CygwinSSHD_W2K3.html

Edited by graysky

Cool, thanks for the link. Three things you can't do w/ remote desktop are:

1) use it as an ssh/tunnel for high security connections to that box (ssh -L 8080/localhost/80 <-- this forwards port 80 on the server to port 8080 on the client all encrypted so long as the ssh/putty window is active)

2) use it as a primitive socks4 proxy (ssh -D 5000 user@host <-- this opens up port 5000 on the client as a SOCKS4 proxy)

3) use it as an sftp server

Edited by graysky

I'm well aware of those things.

1) use it as an ssh/tunnel for high security connections to that box (ssh -L 8080/localhost/80 <-- this forwards port 80 on the server to port 8080 on the client all encrypted so long as the ssh/putty window is active)

I never had a use for tunneling a single port like that. Most of the time, I want a wide range of ports, and a VPN just works WAY better overall (IMO). I've never actually seen anyone who made use of such features either.

2) use it as a primitive socks4 proxy (ssh -D 5000 user@host <-- this opens up port 5000 on the client as a SOCKS4 proxy)

Which I've never had a need for and is completely pointless IMO (mind you I do have a debugging proxy for web development, and a squid install too)

3) use it as an sftp server

Which I don't want of and have no use for (FTP/FTPS works just fine for me, directly and/or through VPN, depending). 99.99999999% or so of the population wouldn't know how to use it anyways (and basically no computers around have the software to use it preinstalled either). There's many other ways to move files around, most of which are far simpler and good/secure enough for the vast majority of the population.

And again, none of these commands will actually do anything on a "standard" Windows install... And I'm just not installing a SSHD everywhere, on every computer at home, work and everywhere else I go either. Especially when it doesn't really offer me anything I want or need in the first place. Nevermind firewalls and NAT getting in the way of ~99% of practical uses I could come up with.

SSH was just a way for me to open a terminal to do simple things, and I just can't be bothered with it anymore (besides the odd network device, for which I use a ssh client). Remote desktop works great, is plenty fast, and covers pretty much all my needs. I've given up on SSH about a year ago. Only Linux users seem to be into that stuff (and I've mostly given up on wasting time with that as well)