Trouble Starting my computer

jhs1970426

Good Evening everyone!

I am new to this forum because i am having a problem with my computer. I really do not know much about computer software but I do try my hardest to learn.

Here is my issue: My desktop will NOT start up properly. It turns on and the Windows flag and loading bar appears. Then it just stops and the screen becomes blank. Then i restart it again and a window comes up that says "Did not start properly" and "a hardware or software change may have caused it." Then I try to start up in safemode, which works, but i do not know what to do about this problem. Just now, a screen came up that said the computer was running a NTFS scan and checking files. After that was over, nothing happened again. What do I do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Then it just stops and the screen becomes blank.

... a screen came up that said the computer was running a NTFS scan and checking files

Looks like a corrupted file problem. If the diskcheck did not solve the problem, it might be hardware (HDD dying).

Try running chekdisk again if you have any way to do it (in safe mode).

Thank you for the quick responses!!

Geej- Nothing happened prior to this problem. No windows, updates, error messages, etc. The computer has Norton that is always running and checking files and finding something. Thats the ONLY thing that was running.

Ponch- What does "HDD dying" mean? And the checkdisc automatically came on after restarting the computer many times. So i would not know how to restart this check.

So i would not know how to restart this check.

Start in safe mode.

Open a command console.

http://how-to-use-dos.blogspot.com/2008/06...and-prompt.html

Type in it

chkdsk  C:

and press the [ENTER] key.

If you have a feedback like "errors found not corrected since /F was not specified" do the following:

chkdsk  C: /F

[ENTER]

Re-run

chkdsk  C:

[ENTER]

When you run:

chkdsk  C:

[ENTER]

on a healthy volume you should have this output:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Chkdsk_screenshot.png

Post result.

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

OK, now I have a whole new set of issues.

When I try to start up in Safe Mode and run the disc check, a blue screen appears that says "Problem detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damages to your computer." Then it says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. Then TECH INFO: ***STOP: OxOOOOOO ED. I try restarting again and again in safe mode but this keeps popping up and i cant get past this and into the computer to get the promp screen.

From what i have read in other posts, this is when you upgrade to a new windows. I never did that, nor have i even thought about doing it. So i really do not know why this is happening.

OK, now I have a whole new set of issues.

When I try to start up in Safe Mode and run the disc check, a blue screen appears that says "Problem detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damages to your computer." Then it says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. Then TECH INFO: ***STOP: OxOOOOOO ED. I try restarting again and again in safe mode but this keeps popping up and i cant get past this and into the computer to get the promp screen.

From what i have read in other posts, this is when you upgrade to a new windows. I never did that, nor have i even thought about doing it. So i really do not know why this is happening.

A BSOD 0x000000ED is generally speaking connected to a corrupted filesystem, which would be coherent with your previous reports.

http://www.msfn.org/board/help-unmountable...me-t117693.html

The next "easy" thing you can do is booting off the Windows CD and attempt a Chkdsk from Recovery Console.

jaclaz

• 3 weeks later...

I really appreciate all this info and help everyone.

I just found the CDs that came with the computer. So i am trying to reboot the computer with the 'reinstallation cd for the operating system.' But how do I reboot the computer? Im still having the problem with the blue screen, as stated above. So i cannot get to the startup menu or anywhere else for that matter, to reinistall the cd. so im really at a loss as to what i do.

you may run into a bit of a problem using the cd that came with your system please post what type of system this is. i.e. dell/hp/custom problem may be that the disc is a factory image disc which will not allow you to enter a recovery console. as far as your last question "how do i reboot the computer" you can press the power button for appx 8-10sec to turn off the system and then depress the button again to power it back on. If your system is not set to boot from cd the information i asked for will help us to get you to that point. common keys for changing boot sequence is esc, f10 or f12.

common keys for changing boot sequence is esc, f10 through f12.

Emphasis mine.

Note that if you run your recovery disc, you may lose any saved data you have on the computer. Such as pictures, MP3s that you made, etc.

If the keys that cmonkedo suggested do not show you a boot menu and you still need help, tell us what brand of computer you have.

My desktop is a Dell. This is my mothers computer, so there is nothing on there that we will miss if we run the recovery (she has all her pics on the digital camera still... some from 6 years ago). I will try everything that you guys are telling me tonight after work and ill post the results. Thank you guys!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK... so i tried doing the F10 through F12. Upon startup, i hit F8, it takes me to an "advanced option menu". There was a "reboot" option. I hit that option... yet it STILL brings me to this "problem detected" blue screen. Does this mean my desktop is toast? SHould we be saving up for a new computer? I mean this one is 7+ years old, so maybe its time to move on?

OK... so i tried doing the F10 through F12. Upon startup, i hit F8, it takes me to an "advanced option menu".

This is not what you want. At that point, you've already booted Windows XP. You need to find the key that brings the bios screen before that. Maybe there is an indication on the screen at startup. For Dell, I now it is F2 now but it might have been "Del" or "Esc" 7 years ago. It's even been Ctrl+Alt+Del ten years ago.

From that bios screen, you will have to make certain the CD is set to boot before the hard drive (search for something like "Boot Order"). That way you will be able to start your system from your XP install cd and choose the recovery console mode. From that state, when you get that far, you can type "chkdsk c: /f /r /p" if I remember correctly.