How to restore some registry settings.

kjk

hi,

I have a slimmed xp version and all works well. One of the things I removed were the 16-bit references, as all software I have used over the past years is 32-bit.

Until recently since I want to run an application that pops up with the error "xxx not a valid win32 application."

After some work on this I have come to the conclusion that it still has 16-bit references :angry:

One of the files that contains old 16-bit settings is the Windows\system directory. Since there have to be references in the registry as well (because designed by Microsoft) placing this directory back in my current installation does not solve the problem. I need to find the references in the registry for the files in this directory. Is there a way to extract this information from my 'testing windows xp'?

I don't suppose nlite removes this information from the registry, since it is created on installation (if I'm not mistaken). If nlite does, than is there a way to find out what it exactly removes. Likewise you could ask what files are removed under selection of 16-bit (in this case), or is this information only known by the creator of nlite?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Kristian

Edit:

Something new:

when I manually remove (underscore) the Windows\system directory and a few other files in the system32 directory that are 16-bit related and reboot, the application still works... It seems that only the references in the registry are needed. And it is just the "16-bit" part of nlite that is responsible for this. Removing this from the isofile disables running this application.

Edited by kjk