WPI + MultiBoot DVD?

Hey guys,

I have been using WPI for a while and it rocks ;) Right now, I am making a Multi-Boot DVD which will have 3-4 OSs on it... How can I get WPI to work on all four ?

This is based on Fly-a-Kite's Tutorial.. However, I want to make a single WPI work for all 4 OSs... Same settings.etc but the problem is that its close to 1GB so I cant make a separate copy for each OS :(

Will greatly appretiate help :)

Drive Structure :-

XP CD :-

E:\AIO-DVD\SETUP\XP\Professional

Boot Files of XP :-

E:\AIO-DVD\SETUP\PRO1

Similar with other OSes.. I got the $OEM$ folder thing done on XP.. but now, I want to know if I ought to make any edits to make sure all the programs can access WPI ?

My $OEM$ dir contains cmdlines.txt & RunWPI.exe

Cheers

Here's a picture :_

22pp.jpg

Assuming that my E: drive were the DVD, how would I proceed ?

E:\AIO-DVD\SETUP\XP\Professional :- Copy of XP CD

E:\AIO-DVD\SETUP\PRO1 :- Copy of Boot Files (Flyakite's Tutorial)

The other OSes would come somewhere in Setup folder except Vista which would be like AIO-DVD\Sources or something similar

You can ignore the BOOT folder in AIO-DVD as I havent used it for anything yet.. It just contains a few files which I didnt want to clutter up

Edited by ext.pctweaker

OK the theory here is actually VERY simple.

In all actuallity the process is exactly the same.

Place the WPI folder the root. then put the $oem$ folder at the root also, Win2000, XP and 2003 will all use this $oem$-cmdlines the same. That way you only need 1 set of files for all those OS's and their variations.

As for Windows Vista and 7 Each one would need a setupcomplete.cmd at the location of:

...\Sources\$oem$\$$\setup\scripts (VERY Small file) You can get this from the downloads section.

NOW that WPI is at 1 central location and all the OS's have the proper start files you can decide if you want to use the Multi-defs or the switches to use a special WPI setup for each OS without the need for several WPI folders :D

I am not sure if this step is right.

As I understand it and see it the OS install looks for the OEM folder at the root. My dual OS disk does (But mine is rather different)

Easy to test after setup run a vm test and see if the OS recognizes it or not. If not then Copy it and place it at the proper install dir of each OS folder.

The RunWPI Files are built to where they "Should" see the WPI folder at the root and run it no matter where theyu are physically located at. Now they might need abit of tweaking but I am willing todo that for you. You'll just have the fun of testing :P

for /f "delims=: tokens=1" %%i in ("%~dp0") do set drive=%%i:
set wpipath=%drive%\wpi

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY%\WPI /V 1 /D "%wpipath%\WPI.hta" /f

JUST Checked the internal code and it reads as above.

It will see WPI and run it just fine even if you bury it several folders deep.

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

Thanks for the quick replies dude :) You are truly an awesome developer and quite supportive of users too :)

But regarding the coding, perhaps you could tell me how you set up your Multi-Boot ? And is it in any way similar to FlyaKite's ?

http://flyakite.msfn.org/

EDIT: Didnt see your previous reply..

I must admit, you are very fast lol

So, I can just place the WPI file in E:\ and then create copies of $OEM$ in each of the OS folders ?

Edited by ext.pctweaker

You are truly an awesome developer and quite supportive of users too
$OEM$ in each of the OS folders ?

YES!!!

:o THANX :D

OK my disk is built with easyboot as the base, but instead of 2 XP folders I only have 1 and one is setup to recognize and use "autoi.sif" (Renamed Winnt.sif file) and the OEMpreinstall=yes in that for custom files, themes and such.

Then 2 is a standard-non-extras setup for when I need to reinstall on a pc that isn't my main one.

I am attaching a pic of my simple boot menu.

Right now I am working on adding ubcd4win (The legal thing, not the pirated boot disk) to it so I will have an extra option.

Thanks for the comments!!!

Edited by Kelsenellenelvian

You are truly an awesome developer and quite supportive of users too
$OEM$ in each of the OS folders ?

YES!!!

:o THANX :D

OK my disk is built with easyboot as the base, but instead of 2 XP folders I only have 1 and one is setup to recognize and use "autoi.sif" (Renamed Winnt.sif file) and the OEMpreinstall=yes in that for custom files, themes and such.

Then 2 is a standard-non-extras setup for when I need to reinstall on a pc that isn't my main one.

I am attaching a pic of my simple boot menu.

Right now I am working on adding ubcd4win (The legal thing, not the pirated boot disk) to it so I will have an extra option.

Thanks for the comments!!!

Hi.

my multiboot dvd built with easyboot utility and wpi with windowsxp and other utilities, now I am trying use window 7 to make multiboot dvd instead of windows xp.

any instruction would be much appreciated.

king regards

Very easy, WPI in DVD root, use Kels Vista\Win7 folder structure. I have Win7 DVD AIO, with 11 ver of Win7 made with vista sp1 waik. I'll find instructions and post back. It works with which ever version of Win7 you pick from DVD.

BD

Edited by bonedaddy

• 4 weeks later...
for /f "delims=: tokens=1" %%i in ("%~dp0") do set drive=%%i:
set wpipath=%drive%\wpi

SET KEY=HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx

REG ADD %KEY%\WPI /V 1 /D "%wpipath%\WPI.hta" /f

Just a check to be sure; At what T- stage do you best run this via .cmd (for XP x64 Edition setup/installer) ?