Unattended works from DVD but not from HD partition

Hi MSFN,

I managed to create an unattended vista ultimate install dvd using WAIK and Firegeier's vu_batchs. Works flawlessly. Now I would like to copy it to a spare partition on my hard drive and boot the installer off of that partition. I got the partition to boot by xcopying all the files from the .iso to an ntfs-formatted, active partition. It didn't work until I used MBRwiz to repair the MBR. Now it boots from the installer partiton and proceeds until it says "CD/DVD Device Driver is missing". I looked in the drivers directory in the .iso and there is nothing there. But it works fine when I install the same .iso from dvd. I started with the en_windows_vista_enterprise_sp2_x86_dvd_342329.iso image. Looking at the postings, a lot of people have seen this error and fixed it many different ways, but none that I've seen started with a working .iso and the failure occurred after attempting to move it to a hd partition.

I plan to try it from a USB stick, just to see if that works, and also try it on a few other computers to gain some clues. I want to be able to do bare-metal reinstalls rather than simple reimaging. Can anyone suggest a more scientific approach to this?

Thanks in advance

Sealnose

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, amit_talkin,

That's an interesting and useful tool you came up with-- I'm going to try it as soon as I'm done with my Vista problem.

The problem I described I was able to set aside for now by changing my LogPath entry in the autounattend.xml from c:\install.log to c:\log. It was one of the many strange solutions I found on the web that seemed unrelated but it worked.

Now I have a new one, and will post it.