Problems with SeaMonkey 1.1.18 on Windows 95?

Andrew T.

Has anyone else had any problem running the latest maintenance release of SeaMonkey on their system?

After installing the update last night, I was prompted with this dialogue whenever I ran the browser:

seamonkeysecurity.png

Reverting to 1.1.17 fixed the problem. Seeing that I use Windows 95 OSR2, might this be an OS version-dependent bug?

I had exactly the same problem with Firefox 2, was getting the same error message. FF would still run, but with no access to secure sites. This was in Win98se with IE completely removed.

I cured it by enabling MS Cryptography in Windows Setup (Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, Windows Setup). This installed RSABASE.DLL in windows/system, and created the following reg key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Machine Settings]
"CatRoot"="C:\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM\\CatRoot\\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Defaults]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Defaults\Provider]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Defaults\Provider\Microsoft Base Cryptographic Provider v1.0]
"Image Path"="rsabase.dll"
"Type"=dword:00000001
"Signature"=hex: (a long string of hex data here)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Defaults\Provider Types]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Defaults\Provider Types\Type 001]
"Name"="Microsoft Base Cryptographic Provider v1.0"

No more complaints from FF, and now full functionality. Maybe this is related to your issue.

Edited by chromatic47

I've read about the same problem from Nathan Lineback on mozillaZine even before updating myself.

The problem is that 1.1.18 updates the NSS component to the latest version, which is responsible for SSL. This newest version was not meant to run on Win9x. However, it does run fine on Windows 98 with IE. That's because the IE4 shell implements the API that is missing in plain Windows 95 and Windows 95 without IE4.

I have filed bug#514955 on this. There is no definite resolution yet, though solutions have been proposed.

Thanks for the replies so far...

The problem is that 1.1.18 updates the NSS component to the latest version, which is responsible for SSL. This newest version was not meant to run on Win9x. However, it does run fine on Windows 98 with IE. That's because the IE4 shell implements the API that is missing in plain Windows 95 and Windows 95 without IE4.

Ah, I was afraid of that. Unfortunately, it feels as though nowadays the developers would rather wash their hands of "Windows versions sans IE" entirely than fix the bug. Talk about sleeping with the enemy!

(For what it's worth, the MozillaZine thread is here...)