what os is best?

proevofanatik

could someone please rate all microsoft os from best to worse from these please?

xp home

xp professional

xp media centre

server 2003

thanks

Throw Home out of the running...it's just a dumbed down version of Pro.

Media Center is XP with the Media Center add-on, nothing more.

Server 2003 should not be compared to a desktop operating system at all. It's apples and oranges.

Edited by macgyvr

xp home

Pros:

• umm its cheap?

Cons:

• cant be a remote desktop server
  • cant join a domain
  • no local group policy support

xp professional

Pros:

• can be a remote desktop server
  • can join a domain
  • local group policy support

Cons:

• doesnt have media center

xp media center

Pros:

• can be a remote desktop server
  • local group policy support
  • has media center

Cons:

• cant join a domain

server 2003

Pros:

• can be a remote desktop server (even for multiple people depending on edition)
  • group policy support

Cons:

• Price
  • its designed for servers. if you intend to use it as a desktop it requires a little work to get it up to snuff
  • sometimes difficult to locate drivers for non-server hardware

more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_editions

xp professional

xp media centre

server 2003

xp home

Thats my rating in that order but it depends what I want in a OS. Ive been trying Windows 7 and it might just be first or second. Still playing with that OS. Your question is kind of a trick question. Ask me the same question if I have four computers networked in the house and my answer might change.

Rate them for what?

I'm not leaving this as an open ended question, either provide a reasonable response to my question on your next reply or this topic will be removed!

im sorry i wasnt clear. the reason im wanting them rated is because i currently use xp home and its crap. im looking for the best one b4 i purchase it.

i also tried out a few linux distros. they were great but dont really support many windows based games. you can fart about with wine to get them to work, but i found it very daunting.

I would go with an XP SP3 pro, Nlite the bulk, then build up any media center wants with third party apps (Kantaris for playback + tversity/boxee for streaming is a lot more fun, imho).

edit: but that list does seem antiquated, waiting a month and getting a retail 7 should be considered.

Edited by iamtheky

I wouldn't entirely dismiss XP Home, if you are using for home and non-business use it is fine. I feel some people who dismiss it entirely before further assessment. Although there is no Local Group Policy. If you reboot the computer in safe mode you can change the Software Restriction Policy settings for the files in it's Properties windows.

The specification that said it doesn't support multicore processor isn't correct. You can update the Uniprocessor in Device Manager to multi. But nLiting it and setting the CPU to automatic also does it.

xp professional

• Pro:

There, I fixed it. Edited by eksasol