Explorer opens to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

PC_LOAD_LETTER

No seriously. Im not crazy but when I hold the right side control key for 3-5 seconds, explorer opens to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

its been doing this for weeks but I was never able to pinpoint what i was behavior was causing it .

it will open exactly 2 windows to that address (usually one right after the other) then will only swap focus back to the first one when I hold it again but itll never open more than 2. If i close both windows and hold Ctrl itll do it again.

its not a big deal or anything so Im not really worried about tracking it down before i switch to 7 but im wondering if anyone knows what it might be?

If nothing else, I can tell you that you're not alone. My computer has started doing the exact same thing, and you're right, it's only in the last couple of weeks. It's relatively harmless, but certainly annoying when you're doing something simple like a Ctrl-C, and those windows pop up.

Let's hope somebody has some ideas on how to solve it...

well I can tell you its not permanent. Its not doing it right now since my reboot last night. the only thing ive changed was I Nvidia drivers updated from 190.62 to 190.89 but i dont think thats the likely source. Ill let you know if it pops back up but for now im just glad its not bothering me.

Hi,

I have the EXACTLY same problem here. It's really annoying, however I could identify it only happens when I have a certain VMWare virtual machine running, and only that one, even in background (VMWare Workstation). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, 2008 Server here.

Thanks.

Jay

no vmware or vmwarelike apps on this machine here.

but as i mentioned, i no longer have his issue at the moment

but here is stuff that has been resident when it happened:

Firefox (latest)

Trillian Astra

utorrent

steam

mcafee ent 8.7

logitech lcd manager for g15

g series keyboard profiler

setpoint for my MX100 and MX revolution

process manager

various nvidia services

Windows mobile device center

taskbar shuffle

wootalyzer

prolly some other stuff too

Did some more hunting around tonight, and apparently it's a known bug in Stardock's "Fences" desktop organizer program. They're working on a fix, but for now, apparently uninstalling Fences solves it (I haven't tried this myself, I'm just sayin'...)

Did some more hunting around tonight, and apparently it's a known bug in Stardock's "Fences" desktop organizer program. They're working on a fix, but for now, apparently uninstalling Fences solves it (I haven't tried this myself, I'm just sayin'...)

sorta forgot about that. im running it too but im not willing to give it up for the minor annoyance that at this moment isnt happening.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Glad to know it's a known problem. Yes, I do have Fences, and no, I am not going to uninstall it because I like it.

2. I tried the "snapshot" workaround -- didn't work for me. My Explorer windows open still -- but only when I return from Windows "locked" mode with CTRL-ALT-DEL and my password.

3. Has anyone seen the problem formally reported on Fences site via "known defects" or an open defect-tracking request?