[Solved!] AVG 7.5 annoying pop-up

ajzen

Hi! Does anybody know how to get rid of the annoying pop-up that appears everytime AVG 7.5 loads? You know, the one that says that my computer is no longer safe, and that I must upgrade to AVG 8.5 (which we know, doesn't support windows 98).

Thank you!!

That pop-up is caused by the last update AVG released, before dropping support to 7.5! It drove me nuts, too! What I then did was to deploy my full system backup image, obtained 5 days before, so that I rolled back to a previous update state, before the nagging was added. And disable AVG's automatic updates. I'm positive its caused by the last update available. But I still didn't find a way to roll back just AVG's update. Sorry! There must be one, though.

The file your looking to replace/rollback is avgabout.dll.

You want version 7.5.0.556.

AVG makes a backup at each update.

If you are lucky you will find the file at:

C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7upd\backup

(The location on my system.)

I copied back avgabout.dll & avg7US.lng. This is probably a language specific

file and may have a different name on your setup.

Thing is if you have automatic updates enabled those will be replaced next update.

The definition updates listed here still work for me.

http://free.avg.com/download-update

I just download the 2 files with "avi" in the file names and use the manual

update option in avg pointing it the folder I download the updates.

• 2 weeks later...

I confirm your findings.

Manual update with the "avi" files still works.

At least as of 270.13.133/2397, released today.

One must keep on the look-out, though, for the moment the next files stop working, as happened before with Ad-Aware SE, Build 1.06r1, at Definitions File SE1R246 09.05.2008...

And, of course, to avoid getting the nag files, automatic updates must be and remain disabled.

Great find, sleffing! You do rock! :thumbup

• 2 months later...
The file your looking to replace/rollback is avgabout.dll.

You want version 7.5.0.556.

AVG makes a backup at each update.

If you are lucky you will find the file at:

C:\WINDOWS\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft\Avg7Data\avg7upd\backup

(The location on my system.)

I copied back avgabout.dll & avg7US.lng. This is probably a language specific

file and may have a different name on your setup.

Thing is if you have automatic updates enabled those will be replaced next update.

I confirm that rolling back avgabout.dll to v. 7.5.0.556 eliminates the nag, with no adverse effects.

The further rollback of avg7US.lng is not necessary however, because avgabout.dll v. 7.5.0.556 works ok with the avg7US.lng intended for the later avgabout.dll v. 7.5.0.560 (the nagging file).

I also confirm that the manual updates continue to work OK. I'm now using AVI 270.14.113 and IAVI /2572 (u7avi181845.bin and u7iavi257245.bin).

You do rock, sleffing! :thumbup

BTW, are we the last two users of AVG 7.5? dubbio.gif

If more of you all are using it, please let us know.

No, we're the last three users of AVG 7.5!

The AVI files updates work for me as well. It's cool to see the AVG icon in the system tray colorful and not grayed out.

Probably AVG thought the nag screen on the last upgrade of 7.5 would force users to uninstall 7.5 and upgrade. Well it sure forced me to uninstall AVG 7.5 and install (for a while at least) Avast 4.8.

I did have AVG 8 for a very short time on my Win 2K box. It's slow and bloated but what inspired me to uninstall it was that it had to contact a server in the Netherlands-AVG headquarters apparently-every time I booted up my computer. That's a no-no as far as I'm concerned.

The only other AV I know that runs on 98 is Eset's NOD 32 v 2.7. You've got to pay for that one though (although the 30-day trial still updates the virus signatures. But whose going to pay $39 for 1 year of Antivirus?)

My version of avgabout.dll is only 7.5.0.24. I couldn't find a later version.

BTW, is the last version of AVG 7 free 7.5.524a1289? I can't find a later version of 7.5 free.

Edited by the xt guy

I bet avgabout.dll v. 7.5.0.24 is good enough. If you save a copy of it in a secure place, you may then update it from the internet until it nags you. Then point the update system to a file, reboot into true DOS, and rollback just the avgabout.dll to the one you saved. That'll give you the most updated binaries of all the other components. But, as long as you keep updating the AVI and IAVI regularly, AVG 7.5.524 is good enough, so this update procedure I just outlined is optional.

• 4 weeks later...

It's interesting that if I apply this AVG 7.5 'update' to my Win2K system, AVG sometimes asks to reboot after applying updates. If I apply the identical downloaded update to Win 98 (same box, I'm dual booting 98/2K) it doesn't ask for a restart to apply the updates.

Edited by the xt guy

Never seen that happen, either on XP SP3 or on my 98SE. Must be some peculiarity of 2k, for sure.

BTW, despite the fact that AVG is already at v. 9.0.xxx, the update files work because they still use the original format, nonetheless, in which files always start with the following 18 characters (counting spaces, including one after "Bin") :

MZ AVG7 UpdateBin

Make that last four!

sleffing, I love you forever. Just tried the dll replacement, finally I don't need to sit with my cursor hovering near my uTorrent icon during bootup so I can click that stupid popup and make everything finish loading! I take it the bottom of the program window and About dialogue telling me that it's still version .560 instead of .556 is normal, right?

I never got around to trying the manual update thing (haven't updated since the last automatic one >_>), the old thread that I found on dlsreports about this stopped having people post in it back in September or so. Dunno what made me think of it now, but I decided to see if anyone had found a solution to it yet, and here was this thread. Great to hear others are still going and it all seems to be working fine. Guess it's time for me to finally give it a shot :P

Great! Good to know you too are keeping the fire burning! :thumbup

I take it the bottom of the program window and About dialogue telling me that it's still version .560 instead of .556 is normal, right?
Sure. If you just rolling back avgabout.dll to v. 7.5.0.556, or that and the few other files sleffing mentioned (although now we know just avgabout.dll v. 7.5.0.556 is enough), all the other files from the last update remain, so it really *is* the "no-nag" 560. :P

And yes, set it to update from a folder where you downloaded the newest update avi/iavi and it'll work all right. No one knows for how long, but at least up to now. If in doubt, use an hexeditor and look at the 1st 18 bytes of your just downloaded files to check both have the signature I posted above, before telling AVG to update.

.....dammit, I seem to have broken something >_>

I did the update, then figured I should let it run through a scan. Not too bad, only picked up one threat. After it was done, I decided to reset my machine.

During the boot sequence, it got to the part where it says something like

Initialising AVG Bootup Scanner 7.1 Copyright Grisoft or something or other

Press ESC to cancel.....................

Some other line about AVG that I can't remember what it says, 2002-2006

Then it just sat there for over 9 minutes with the HDD light flickering. A couple of times I tried ctrl+alt+del to see if that would kill it, or pressing Esc, or anything, but it'd just make the light stop doing anything and nothing would happen. So yeah, I let it go and it spent 9 minutes doing that, then the blue square came up and it was another few minutes before that did anything either. Once it got all that out of the way it was fine, it's just incredibly stupidly slow now. It was fine when I just changed the .dll, it only started doing it after I did the update and the scan.

Sigh... nag screen doesn't seem so bad now :P

Edited by MrTaco