Make your own website

Pockins

Yes, but what go to do those guys who had never heard about HTML and other stuff?

Dont you think that is much more eathier just to buy alreade done web product?

I never liked the idea of buying a website design or layout, or paying a company to make a website for you. Some exceptions exist, such as if you are a large company that can afford that kind of expense. Usually, that way is a lot more expensive than doing it yourself. And lastly, in my experience, once you make a website, you're never really done with it. There are always things to add, or fix if something breaks.

But what if I will do it buy myself with a tones mistakes?

I ll lose lots of time :sneaky:

I've only had experience with 1 purchased webdesign, and it also has tons of mistakes. Anyways, you can learn a lot from mistakes, we all make them.

Maybe, but also I think that you got much more experiences in question like this and anywa

y can not make that much mistake that I ll do :rolleyes:

That why I am also looking for some builders.

• 4 weeks later...
I like Dreamweaver. It is very powerful instrument.

Dreamweaver has its good parts. Now after using CS4 a little bit, I still find that it can crash when directly editing CSS files, which was a bug that goes back to Dreamweaver 2. But for me, the only things useful about it are the code coloring and the Site panel/link changer.

• 2 months later...

There is a secret the n00bs never know: It's spelled with three magic letters: FTP

Once you get a FTP access (just look at your webhosting parameters) and installed a FTP software (just pick one of the gagizillion available for free) everything is much simplier, faster and easier than .com based editors.

Edited by Fredledingue

There is a secret the n00bs never know: It's spelled with three magic letters: FTP

Once you get a FTP access (just look at your webhosting parameters) and installed a FTP software (just pick one of the gagizillion available for free) everything is much simplier, faster and easier than .com based editors.

I agree. I've been using FTP since about 2001. It still makes my head spin, recently I set up a web-server and was like "WHAT" when I did not enable FrontPage extensions to allow "magic" (aka n00b) upload feature. After this request I just told them "no, use FTP like everyone else."

FTP is as easy as copy-pasting files between two folders on your local hard drive.

I never used FrontPage extentions: Isn't it an FTP function included in FrontPage or is it another technology?

I think it is. I only used FP2000 once and couldn't stand it. Never learned too much about it. Newer FP and Impression uses FTP in the background but as "Publish" option. For some reason Microsoft made it have to use an Extension to be put in IIS for this to work.

Its also a good idea to know how to use DOS FTP, which you may have to in emergency (you are not at your own PC) situations. :thumbup

I've seen a lot of n00bs who also use FTP all the time, knowing it hardly makes someone "special".

Besides FTP "variants" there are also WebDAV, SMB, NFS and other ways to do this. I'm lazy, so I usually publish right from within Visual Studio itself (along with database and everything else).

As for FP extensions (eww), it doesn't use FTP but HTTP POST to transfer data.