GUI Crash on unattended after integrating updates

I am banging my head against the wall trying to get past this issue.

• started with base install - MS XP with SP3
  • added drivers and changes to run without using F6 on VM ware
  • added drivers for AHCI mode
  • everything was working on VM as well as physical HW
  • completed an installation to get the updates needed for integration
  • updates were applied using the /integrate switch
  • began building application installations via runonce
  • unattended installs were working with application installs and company customizations
  • went back to a base install to get newest updates
  • retraced steps to apply updates via /integrate
  • now the GUI portion of the install crashes after splash screen and before "39 minutes"
  • Message (I think) "Insufficient resources" is all I can catch before system reboots
  • there is nothing in the setup logs
  • tries to restart but keeps crashing with the same message that flashes by
  • if I copy in the I386 folder from the slipstreamed updates that worked then the install works but we can't seem to find what the difference is
  • have closely examined the files needed to go in with our changes for driver (VM Ware and AHCI) and they seem to be the same
  • took the I386 folder from a base that works and apply the integrate over top - crashes but the only file showing modification is DOSNET.INF
  • tried to run /integrate then copy over our driver files - still no good.

So we are at a loss about what could possibly be causing this as well as how to get a process going that works without 'magic'... We know it is a driver issue (am I overstating the obvious? :whistle: ) but don't understand how it got broken...

Hi Lisatech, I seem to have exactly the same problem. But I'm not integrating any drivers. Only integrating updates. If I integrate them with the integrate switch or with the svpack method, or with nlite, it's all the same. Symptoms as you described. Even if I have them installed during the installation process (nlite, under advanced button) instead of integrating them,Windows won't start up. It gets stuck in the "wait..." screen just before first start up. I thought it might be ie8, so I left it out, but to no avail... At a loss as well. If I find a solution I'll post a reply here. And I'll check this thread from time to time.

I think I have narrowed it down to a different version of the same update (not sure which one yet) as I did one run that only applied the KB's that were the same between the working and bad version but used the exe's of the bad version - didn't work. But I was able to successfully run the working versions ones again with no problem.

I will try to narrow it down to a specific KB and will post if I nail it down....

g-force: I used the MS Update Catalog to download all the updates again, figuring if they did need to make a change to one of them and re-issue I should get the latest version... hahaha - maybe they 'broke' one that was already working but it only shows up if applied at install time...

Thanks for the replies...

I think it was a combination of a bad update download (I may have inadvertently selected an incorrect one from the MS Catalog) and 2 IE7 updates. We have since found a really bad apple in the IE7 updates that refuses to be installed - KB938127. Numerous admins have found this update to be an issue though we have yet to find anyone that is trying to apply to a fresh install based on XP with SP3, not slipstreaming SP3 into the install.

Hi Lisatech, tried something different with some improvement as a result. I integrated the updates with WinFuture xp-Iso-Builder, ( http://winfuture.de/XPIsoBuilder_en ) instead of nlite. I couldn't integrate ie8 and there is still a funny message about some wrong switch for an update during the installation which you have to click away, but it doesn't get stuck anymore. It seems like an easier task to solve this than the original problem.

Think it was KB941569. I left it out and the problem was gone. Integrated again with Nlite. (Which caused me troubles before) Took the updates from Windows Updates Downloader. Left that one out + ie8. (That last one was responsable for the other error messages) and everything was smooth. Went to windows update. There were 12 updates left. (The lists of Windows Updates Downloader are not complete) But KBB941569 was not even listed. I'm still testing and verifying this + I'll integrate the rest of the updates and ie8, but that should be straightforward