Interested in upgrading processor

adrian2055

Hey Guys,

I interested in putting a dual core processor in my new desktop and I thought I would get your opinion on something.

1. Should I do this myself or hire a pro? I've never installed a processor before. Is it easy to do? The cheapest rate in my local area for a pro to do it is $85. That includes same day service (they said they can do it in 2-3 hours) and they overclock it if the motherboard allows it at no extra cost. Is that worth it or is that too high?

2. What processor should I get for my system? My PC Specs Are Below.

PC Specs:

Dell Inspiron i537-3492 Desktop PC

Intel Celeron 450 @ 2.20GHz (512k cache,800MHz FSB)

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit Edition With Service Pack 1

2GB DDR2 Dual-Channel SDRAM at 800 MHz (Upgrading to 4GB soon)

Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X4500HD 256 MB Integrated Graphics Card (Not Being Used)

BFG Tech NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512 MB Graphics Card (I Use This One)

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA Internal Hard Drive

Western Digital My Book Essential Edition WD3200AAKS 640GB USB 2.0/Firewire External Hard Drive

HL-DT-ST 16x DVD+-RW Drive

Dell 19" IN1910N Widescreen Digital Flat Panel

Conexant D850 PCI V.92 Modem

Realtek PCIe Integrated 10/100 Ethernet

Realtek High Definition Audio

Well, I would say that it's expensive. I also never changed processor, but in the shop where I always buy my components they do it for free. So, if I buy in their show they change my components for free, but if I bring them component from another shop, replacements is very cheep.

And pro say, they need 2-3 hours to do it? Very funny. Processor change can be done for max 30 minutes. Maybe overclocking can take more time, but I would say 1 hour top. And comparing to where I live, that price is robbery.

Cheers ;)

jcarle, I have to thank you again for that video. The desktop that he used in this video is a slightly older version of my new desktop. His pc had the same processor that mine has. The only difference is that I don't have the slim model or a card reader and mine has an additonal fan so his will be a big help as I'm considering doing this myself.

1. Should I do this myself or hire a pro? I've never installed a processor before. Is it easy to do? The cheapest rate in my local area for a pro to do it is $85. That includes same day service (they said they can do it in 2-3 hours) and they overclock it if the motherboard allows it at no extra cost. Is that worth it or is that too high?

Just thought I might also add...that is expensive! I built an entire new PC for someone for just $50 and it took me about 1-2 hours (including unpacking parts, flashing/tweaking BIOS, small overclocking and cable routing). I know thats a very cheap amount to pay and I will be charging closer to $100 next time I build an entire system from scratch (also including recommending/ordering parts and installing the OS). Just shows how much some people out there are getting ripped off. Sorry for being a little off-topic there :whistle:

Edited by Zenskas

Well, bust my britches! Dell didn't limit the CPU FSB so you can go beyond the E5400. In this thread at DELL, the user upgraded to a Q8400; though, I like the E8400 which ought to seriuosly kick that system into high gear: http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19290903/19540330.aspx

:thumbup YES! :thumbup It's good to know that Dell didn't limit it. If I want to go up to a quad core in the future I don't have to buy a new PC.

Just thought I might also add...that is expensive! I built an entire new PC for someone for just $50 and it took me about 1-2 hours (including unpacking parts, flashing/tweaking BIOS, small overclocking and cable routing). I know thats a very cheap amount to pay and I will be charging closer to $100 next time I build an entire system from scratch (also including recommending/ordering parts and installing the OS). Just shows how much some people out there are getting ripped off. Sorry for being a little off-topic there :whistle:

WOW! I guess when you look at it that way that is really expensive. I'm glad I didn't pay them to do install it for me. There's no telling how much they will charge to build a PC around here

OK, basic CPU 101....

The bigger the cache, the less often you have to come out of it to access slower things

AND

The FSB (Front Side Bus) speed affects the communication with the rest of the system.

The E8400 has an FSB of 1333Mhz (almost double the 800 of the E5400) and the 6MB cache is as big as it gets.....

If you install it yourself (easy, as you found out), it's $167 at ZipZoomFly (they've been around forever) http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...rodlist=froogle