If I want to run a game that's not made for 98

BogdanV

There's lots of classics running on win98 and the posibility to mod or even code your own games makes life easier, but it happens that I'm a big C&C fan and RA3's gameplay really hooked me.

I know that games are wide and spread and there's a lot of subjectiveness going on around them, that's why I don't want to beg or burden KEXs devs to make this one compatible, but rather, I'd like to know what can a guy that knows only plain C++ syntax do to work with this wrapper and implement whatever functions, calls, etc the XP program is expecting ?

More than likely, I can't jump streight into this without studying. I know how to use Dependency Walker to see what program X needs to find, so I can search on msdn for details on the missing dependencies, but this is where my knowledge ends.

What can I do to help/contribute ?

for some time i was analyzing some games.

First of all get a Kernel Ex and use it. You have to know which game uses which engine. For example games like Quake 4 or Prey are all based on Doom 3 engine. One of them is fixed, others are most probably fixed too.

Dependency walker...

Last time i unpacked msvcr2009 to analyze its dlls and after fixing all exports to kernel users of win9x can use it and all software based upon it.

Now i have no time to focus on dll dependencies but i know that it is good way to look onto programming languages which lately dropped support for windows 9x and analyze all their dependencies. For example Delphi. Once fixed we get full compatibility with all software based on these "unsupported" apps.

if you can use C++ you can do almost everything. maybe creating of compatibility layers in windows will be something for you.

Why not offer your services to Xeno and Tihy. this way you can learn a bit more about what they are doing and then by making something to work with yourself you would benifit the wider comunity because it would be part of an app most of us aleready use.

The worst that can happen is they turn you down.

Even with that they may still tell you a bit about the layers they create to help you on your way.

Trev

I can only do java (consol) and VB (classic and .net(which is why I want an editor in 98! - I started one in vb.net but got as far as thinking about how to show componants on another tab of componants written in another...))