Start Menu in WinPE 3.0?

mikefletcher85

I have just starting getting into making a WinPE disk. Ive learned alot from reading guides, but there is one thing I would like to add, and I cant seem to find a guide for it. Is it possible to add a Start Menu to a WinPE 3.0 (based off windows 7) image? Also it doesnt have to be THE Start Menu, just a Start Menu. I dont care if its a 3rd part one, just something graphical.

Thanks

~Fletch

At this point the best route is to install a third-party application (in other words not explorer.exe) to handle launching applications. My personal favorite is Rocket Dock because of how simple it is to use and customize. There are plenty of other ones out there but Rocket Dock is portable and looks pretty at the same time.

I am not sure what your level you are at with customizing Windows PE but the easiest way to launch the shell is to use winpeshl.ini in the Windows\System32 directory. You will basically replace the path in this file with that of your shell. If your Windows PE does not have this file you can create it by making a text file and renaming it then adding this into it:

[LaunchApp]

AppPath = %SYSTEMDRIVE%\Windows\RocketDock\RocketDock.exe

[LaunchApps]

This assumes that you add in the RocketDock application directory into the Windows directory for Windows PE.

EDIT:: Here are some other good launchers. Not all of them can be used in Windows PE but you can check them out and see if there are is another one you like more than RocketDock http://www.osattack.com/alternative-shell/...rs-for-windows/

Edited by paxamime