Open URL in Windows Explorer no longer working after IE8 upgrade

sacharja

Hello,

I did a nlited installation with just IE core (no lexplore.exe). However this was a IE7 core and now I updaated to IE8. The problem is that I'm no longer able to open a web site from Windows Explorer (or My Computer). Instead Windows opens a new window with my default browser.

Any ideas how to fix this?

sacharja, the only positive way to correct this is to start over and not remove IE at all. But we can take a look, so, please attach (not paste) your Last Session.ini. Make sure to always start with a fresh copy of your CD files/folders, do all your work in one nLite session and integrate only one SP. Please report when you have a solution, so others can benefit. Enjoy, John.

I don't know which OS you're using, but when I was developing an IE8 addon for XP x64 that symptom would arise when the commands located in the [ProcessesToRunAfterReboot] section of the original INF were not executed. You could try running the following commands in a command window.

"%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\reg.exe ADD ""HKLM\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\DefaultIcon"" /ve /d ""%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,-7"" /f"
"%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\reg.exe DELETE ""HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components"" /v ""NoIE4StubProcessing"" /f"
"%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\reg.exe DELETE ""HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup"" /v ""IEPendingReboot"" /f"
"%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\reg.exe DELETE ""HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup"" /v ""InstallStarted"" /f"
"%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe /s ""%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"""
"%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe /s /i /n %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\ieframe.dll"
"%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\regsvr32.exe /s %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\actxprxy.dll"
"%SystemRoot%\system32\reg.exe ADD ""HKLM\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\DefaultIcon"" /ve /d ""%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,-7"" /f"
"%SystemRoot%\system32\reg.exe DELETE ""HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components"" /v ""NoIE4StubProcessing"" /f"
"%SystemRoot%\system32\reg.exe DELETE ""HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup"" /v ""IEPendingReboot"" /f"
"%SystemRoot%\system32\reg.exe DELETE ""HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup"" /v ""InstallStarted"" /f"
"%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s ""%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"""
"%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s /i /n %SystemRoot%\system32\ieframe.dll"
"%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %SystemRoot%\system32\actxprxy.dll"

Sorry, I have WinXP SP3, so I guess the system32 part of your commands are interesting for me? I also made a backup before I installed IE8. I wanted to try out if my IE7 core was responsible for the defect automatic windows updates. With IE8 WU works, but as said no URLs in Windows Explorer. That's the background.

Which original inf do you mean?

The original installation INF (update.inf) for IE8-XPx86 can be obtained by unpacking the original installer (IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe) with the /X switch at a command line, or opening the installer with a compressed file manager such as 7-Zip or WinRAR; then browsing to the "update" folder.

The following commands are adapted from the x86 INF, where numeric directory identifiers have been replaced by command line friendly environment variables:

"%SystemRoot%\system32\reg.exe ADD ""HKLM\Software\Clients\StartMenuInternet\IEXPLORE.EXE\DefaultIcon"" /ve /d ""%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,-7"" /f"
"%SystemRoot%\system32\reg.exe DELETE ""HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components"" /v ""NoIE4StubProcessing"" /f"
"%SystemRoot%\system32\reg.exe DELETE ""HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup"" /v ""IEPendingReboot"" /f"
"%SystemRoot%\system32\reg.exe DELETE ""HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Setup"" /v ""InstallStarted"" /f"
"%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s ""%ProgramFiles%\Internet Explorer\ieproxy.dll"""
"%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s /i /n %SystemRoot%\system32\ieframe.dll"
"%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32.exe /s %SystemRoot%\system32\actxprxy.dll"

Thanks, I tried it, but even after a cold restart windows explorer still opens the standard browser instead of displaying it in the same window. Very strange. I went back to my old backup, thus I can't update IE and can't use WU.

Did you do anything else to solve this problem for your add-on?

That's all I needed to do to make links in Windows Explorer work. But they always open an IE browser window. It may be a limitation of IE8 that prevents Windows Explorer links from opening in the same window (i.e., not a new IE browser window or tab).

In the spirit of full disclosure, I never remove IE from my sources with nLite. I typically don't remove anything with nLite. And my x64 IE8 addon prevents nLite from removing IE in the same session with the use of the [NeededComponents] section (185 and 187 are IE and IE core components, respectively).

It may be a limitation of IE8 that prevents Windows Explorer links from opening in the same window (i.e., not a new IE browser window or tab).

That would be an explanation. Then I can save the time to install Win again. Maybe someone's able to confirm this? Does opening "My Computer" and typing in an URL open a new browser window (with IE8 installed of course)?

5eraph, do you have an idea if it's possible to open IE core by sth. else? Usually I don't have a "Internet Explorer" folder with lexplore.exe (because of spyware etc.; IE core is also very restricted on my system except on certain sites; I use Opera primary). I only need the core seldom for WU (because automatic WU doesn't install all updates).

Edited by sacharja

sacharja, mine opens a new tab in the same IE8 window. I am running XP x64 and IE8, up to date, under VM. I also have 'A new tab in the current Window' checked under Tabbed Browsing Settings in Internet Explorer Options. Enjoy, John.