How can a programming rookie be useful in a 9x context ?

BogdanV

My programming knowledge is limited to knowing C++ syntax and a wee-bit of BASIC (kinda rusty though). I don't have any "field" experience (except for making some simple Console programs that used the System() function; kinda like a glorified batch program).

I also make 3D models in Max for a game mod as a hobby if this could be of any relevance/use.

I'm willing to do whatever I can to help the 9x line of OSs and the small but determined community that still holds on, but, as I said, my programming skills are quite basic.

Is there any specific area I can focus on learning, all the while improving my skills, getting more familiar with the inner-workings of 9X and doing something useful in the meantime ?

I was thinking on learning DOS graphics programming, but I don't think that would help too much.

If anyone can point me to some interesting areas that a rookie like me can handle, I'd like to hear.

Thanks!

HI Bogdan!

Thanks for offering your help! We are glad to see enthousiasts keeping coming here.

PLease see in the Windows 9x Member Projects:

http://www.msfn.org/board/windows-9x-membe...ojects-f91.html

The two main tasks now are KernelEx and developing drivers for new devices. o:

Of course that's not realy a job for n00bs but you can give it a try, help, find new ideas as you have some knowledge already.

Learning how to code comes with coding. If you do it you will learn how to do it.

If it's too difficult or if you see that you loose too much time for no effect, you can still imagine to create some cool stuff missing or to improve in w98.

If you want to make a Windows program, start learning about the Windows API with theForger's Win32 API Tutorial. It's what I did to make a Notepad alternative of my own.

If you want to make a game, look into SDL. Lazy Foo's SDL tutorials were helpful to me to start with that.

If you have detailed programming questions, ask in the Programming forum.

Happy programming!

Edited by BenoitRen

Thanks for your replies folks !

Once I reach home, I'll look into the Win32 API as that seems to be the best way to aproach 98.

Speaking of this, do I have to worry about recent tutorials using API functions that aren't compatible with 98 or for the beginning I'm safe ?