Install XP from a RAM loaded ISO image

cdob

btw: some suggestions for beautification? just one entry - its getting longer and longer...

title WinXP Pro SP3
configfile /An_extremely_complex_set_of_entries.lst

:whistle:

jaclaz

title WinXP Pro SP3
configfile /An_extremely_complex_set_of_entries.lst

Hehe, one more submenu? :)

The question from me was not asked very clear.

Are u seeing any optimization oppurtinities or unneccessary lines in the upper code?

btw:

the XP_ALL.iso is 600Mbyte big and size-optimized by mkisofs.

Extracted more than 2Gb.

Interesting is, that my target Notebook with his 1Gbyte ram, is able to map the iso without problems.

I thought, the iso is got unpacked during the mapping to the memory. seems to be not or maybe a thing of mkISO_RAMload_sort.cmd?

anyway, very cool :thumbup

Edit:

If you are using MultiBootIsos (with several Languages, with/without Driverpacks, etc..) u'll get inevitably a ISO more than 1Gbyte, despite the ISO size-optimized by mkisofs. In my Case 1,2Gbyte. Sorting makes neither sense, if you have several installation sources, like in a multiboot iso.

So, it would be clever, if you could take the Driverpacks outside the ISO.

I think the paths in driverpacks's i386/presetup.cmd must be edited for that.

REM +==========================================================================+

REM | Finding CD/DVD driveletter. |

REM |--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

REM SET TAGFILE=\OEM

SET TAGFILE=\boot\AddOns\DriverPack\OEM

FOR %%i IN (C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" SET CDDRIVE=%%i:& GOTO DPsFound

:DPsFound

REM +==========================================================================+

REM | Decompressing the DriverPacks to the harddisk - using un7zip.exe. |

REM |--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Start /wait /realtime /separate "" %CDDRIVE%\boot\AddOns\DriverPack\OEM\bin\un7zip.exe %CDDRIVE%\boot\AddOns\DriverPack\OEM\DP*.7z %SystemDrive%\

REM | Copying/decompressing the files to finish the installation. |

%CDDRIVE%\boot\AddOns\DriverPack\OEM\bin\un7zip.exe %CDDRIVE%\boot\AddOns\DriverPack\OEM\bin\*.7z %SystemDrive%\

COPY /Y %CDDRIVE%\boot\AddOns\DriverPack\OEM\bin\DPsFnshr.ini %SystemDrive%\

IF EXIST %CDDRIVE%\boot\AddOns\DriverPack\OEM\*.ins COPY /Y %CDDRIVE%\boot\AddOns\DriverPack\OEM\*.ins %SystemDrive%\

REM | Scanning for driverdirectories. |

%CDDRIVE%\boot\AddOns\DriverPack\OEM\bin\DevPath.exe %SystemDrive%\D

The loop is scanning all drives on the pc(physical hds, flashdisks, the mounted iso...).

Would this work? Or am i missing something?

Edit2: Just tested, works like a charm. Dont forget, u have to edit the presetup.cmd, which is located in SourceIso/i386 (or whatever).

Advantages of outsourcing the driverpack from the iso file:

• if u have more than one iso with integrated driverpacks, u will save much space on the flashdisk because of the reduced iso sizes.
  • In addition, with smaller iso sizes u can reduce the RAM-precondition.
  • Updating of the driverpacks is much easier, just renew the files on the flashdisk
  • Last but not least: u can use the driverpacks which are on the flashdisk, for postpone driver installation per wihu or so.

Edited by Tefole

• 1 month later...

by using the latest attached version , server 2003 ISO is giving BSOD 0X7B after

" setup is starting windows " or something along these lines , where harddisk shows up and we do format etc .

yes , i have used setuporg.exe from server2k3 . my system does not have SATA.

the exact same version , worked OK with XP ISO .

tried to use firadisk 0.0.18 and 0.0.24 besides the bundled version . SAME BSOD.

any idea ?

Regards,

Maanu from Pakistan

edit :

can someone upload all 3 previous versions of XP_INST.IMA ?

as far as i can remember , i used a version of XP_INST.IMA in the beginning of this thread , and server2003 ISO installed fine .

Edited by maanu

• 3 months later...

The integrated version is changed: this fake setup.exe launch a batch setup.cmd.

Can anybody explain me how the setup.cmd is being invoked during setup?

Following the procedure stated by cdob , the installation of Windows begins from scratch after the restart (which takes place after initial text mode setup) ? What can I do?

What can I do?

WHAT :w00t: kind of question is it?

The method by cdob works.

You can use it or avoid using it. (IF this is the actual question)

The first post explains HOW it works:

There is a fake setup.exe used after first reboot.

The idea is used from drivers from CD

The integrated version is changed: this fake setup.exe launch a batch setup.cmd.

There are includeded the source code, a hidden window processed setup.exe.

And a visible window debug version setup_dbg.exe. To use this version rename this to setup.exe.

The link in it has become "wrong" because the stoopid developers of the board software changed the way they parse links.

Here is a working link:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=12566&st=84

WHAT :w00t: are you asking?

jaclaz

WHAT :w00t: kind of question is it?

What can I do to install by cdob's method?

You can use it or avoid using it. (IF this is the actual question)

NO, surely it's not the actual question. :)

The link in it has become "wrong" because the stoopid developers of the board software changed the way they parse links.

Here is a working link:

http://www.msfn.org/...pic=12566&st=84

Thanks for the link

WHAT woot.gif are you asking?

Sorry for asking a hazy question. What I'm asking is -

1) "Should I copy the contents of <virtual floppy>/setup/I386 to <CD>/I386 & rebuild the ISO ?"

2) If NOT, then how Windows is going to find fake setup.exe?

Edited by HolmesSherlock

the installation of Windows begins from scratch after the restart (which takes place after initial text mode setup
I don't understand clearly.

Yes, after initial text mode setup windows installation continues.

1) "Should I copy the contents of <virtual floppy>/setup/I386 to <CD>/I386 & rebuild the ISO ?"
No, don't add virtual floppy to ISO image.
2) If NOT, then how Windows is going to find fake setup.exe?
Windows read fake setup.exe from virtual floppy disk.

I don't understand clearly.

Yes, after initial text mode setup windows installation continues.

What I tried to mean is - after the text mode setup, Windows setup is expected to proceed to GUI phase. When my machine restarts after text mode setup, I usually take out the CD from the CD drive. Because, I'm using a tweaked version of XP install CD which does not provide me with usual "Please enter a key to boot from CD/DVD" option.(If I can remember correctly, I've seen a BartPE plugin like this). Anyway, after Windows setup continues with GUI phase, I reinsert the CD in the drive again. But, with Grub4DOS memory mapping, that I can't do. That's what my problem is. Can u suggest some workaround?

Reference threads:

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/pluginhelp/bootfix.htm

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9540

Windows read fake setup.exe from virtual floppy disk.

How Windows is being "made to read & execute" fake setup.exe from virtual floppy instead of usual I386 of CD image, means where it is expected to be?

Edited by HolmesSherlock

When my machine restarts after text mode setup' date=' I usually take out the CD from the CD drive.[/quote']Why do you do this?

Change BIOS boot order. Boot internal hard disk by default.

Boot CD on demand. Example: Press F12 at boot to select boot device CD or USB. Different BIOS use different keys.

Do you boot from CD? Which CD drive do you use?

Read section title: Install Windows from USB

I'm using a tweaked version of XP install
Use a original XP CD.
Anyway' date=' after Windows setup continues with GUI phase, I reinsert the CD in the drive again.[/quote']That's a broken approach. Don't do this.
But' date=' with Grub4DOS memory mapping, that I can't do. That's what my problem is. Can u suggest some workaround?[/quote']Boot from internal hard disk. Use BIOS to do this. Or use grub4dos to boot from internal hard disk, read your links yourself.
How Windows is being "made to read & execute" fake setup.exe from virtual floppy
Setupldr.bin process file txtetup.oem at (virtual) floppy drive. That's a installation default feature.

Boot from internal hard disk. Use BIOS to do this. Or use grub4dos to boot from internal hard disk, read your links yourself..

The way I've solved the problem is by appending two more entries in menu.lst. The second entry was used after the restart that takes place as soon as text mode setup finishes while the third one was used after the restart that takes place after GUI mode setup. Now my menu.lst lookes like:

title Loading XP RAM install - Part 1
ls /Inst/XP_RAM.ISO || find --set-root /Inst/XP_RAM.ISO
map --mem /Inst/XP_INST.IMA (fd0)
#(fd1) optional, required at some BIOS
#map --mem /Inst/XP_INST.IMA (fd1)
map --mem /Inst/XP_RAM.ISO (0xFF)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
chainloader (0xFF)/I386/SETUPLDR.BIN

title Loading XP RAM install - Part 2
ls /Inst/XP_RAM.ISO || find --set-root /Inst/XP_RAM.ISO
map --mem /Inst/XP_INST.IMA (fd0)
#(fd1) optional, required at some BIOS
#map --mem /Inst/XP_INST.IMA (fd1)
map --mem /Inst/XP_RAM.ISO (0xFF)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
chainloader (hd0, 0)/ ntldr

title Loading XP RAM install - Part 3
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
map --hook
chainloader (hd0, 0)/ ntldr

Setupldr.bin process file txtetup.oem at (virtual) floppy drive. That's a installation default feature.

I pardon, but my question is still unanswered. The only statement I found in txtsetup.oem is:

dll = setup32, setup.exe

which according to Microsoft documentation(http://msdn.microsof...919(VS.85).aspx), copies the specified file under %systemroot%\system32. But how the fake setup is being EXECUTED?

Edited by HolmesSherlock

The way I've solved the problem is by appending two more entries in menu.lst.
Why two more entries?

Add one entry to boot from internal hard disk. Set this as grub4dos default entry.

. The second entry was used after the restart that takes place as soon as text mode setup finishes

title Loading XP RAM install - Part 2

Why do you do this?

Did anybody suggest this at previous messages?

Boot from hard disk at first restart.

There is no need to load image to RAM at first restart.

If you use a broken BIOS, adjust txtsetup.oem and enable fixBoot.usb.

copies the specified file under %systemroot%\system32.
Yes, that it.
But how the fake setup is being EXECUTED?
Windows install run %systemroot%\system32\setup.exe at first reboot. That's a installation default feature.

Why do you do this?

The menu.lst works fine for me. But, my apology, I can't follow what u r trying to mean.If I boot from hard disk at first restart, the GUI setup starts, then stops asking me to choose the location of files which resides on CD, better to say CD image. Then how can I locate them if I don't RAM-load them beforehand? If I ram-load the image, then installation goes without error.

Can u post the COMPLETE menu.lst ?

If you use a broken BIOS, adjust txtsetup.oem and enable fixBoot.usb.

What is a broken BIOS?

Windows install run %systemroot%\system32\setup.exe at first reboot. That's a installation default feature.

Then r u OVERWRITING the original setup.exe that gets copied from <CD Image>\I386\setup.ex_ ?

Beg ur pardon again for making u "talk" so much on the same issue. I just want to make things clear to myself.

Edited by HolmesSherlock

Yes. It is being overwritten. That is made very clear in the link that he sent you. The source code for the custom setup.exe file is in that link as well. Have you considered checking out the link he sent you? You should really read the link he sent you if you're interested in knowing what's going on at the programming level. Have I mentioned that the link he sent you would have answered your question? I just want to make that clear. Allow me to emphasize that you should really check out that link.

You're welcome.