Since looking at this thread: Install 2000/XP/2003 from RAM loaded small ISO I started to wonder if it would be possible to combine the two projects (sort of). Would it be possible to boot a mini iso with the boot files (as flyakites guide - saves on boot time!) in RAM (0XFF) and direct boot the full iso (safes RAM) from the UFD (0XFE) then install from the full iso. Just a thought but I wondered if it would work. Edit: Nearly forgot... tested install on my desktop with and without card reader. Everything went fine except on the attempt where I created a new partition on the drive (disk was empty) and ended up with a random reboot just at the point presetup.cmd should have run. I booted to hdd a second time and everything went fine except I ended up with a 'All Users.WINDOWS' dir in Documents and settings. I think this reboot was caused by the for loop in presetup.cmd because on subsequent installs (and on the second attempt above) I had "No Disk" errors at this point when the card reader was connected. A part from disconnecting it prior to install the only solution I can think of is to reverse the search order in the loop, that way the UFD (where my OEM dir is) should, hopefully, be found before the card reader. SET TAGFILE=\OEM
FOR %%i IN (Y X W V U T S R Q P O N M L K J I H G F E D C) DO IF EXIST "%%i:%TAGFILE%" SET CDDRIVE=%%i:& GOTO DPsFound If I was doing this in a bash script I'd search for the volume label instead and save a possible 23 mounts but I have know idea how to do that in Windows.