Problem with new hard disk sata2

vick1111

I have windows 98 running on Asrock 4coredual-sata2 motherboard in multiboot.

All seemed to be working perfectly.

Recently I bought a new hardisk 1Tb (actually I was able to format it in 10 Fat32 partitions fora total of 931Gb).

The hard disk also seems to work perfectly when I boot in windows xp or linux.

When I boot in Windows 98 the OS stops at the booting sequence just after showing a low resolution screen.

My sata drivers should be ok as I already have another sata hard disk that windows 98 can easily access.

Can anyone tell me what could be the problem?

The bios shows the new hard disk as "Sata II" hard disk in contrast with the old sata hard disk which is recognized just with as "Sata".

I figured out that this could be the problem so I have put the jumper on this new seagate hard disk to make it behave like a normal sata and it did not work (bios is set in raid mode).

The bios still shows it as sata II and windows 98 does not boot.

any suggestion?

I have windows 98 running on Asrock 4coredual-sata2 motherboard in multiboot.

All seemed to be working perfectly.

Recently I bought a new hardisk 1Tb (actually I was able to format it in 10 Fat32 partitions fora total of 931Gb).

The hard disk also seems to work perfectly when I boot in windows xp or linux.

When I boot in Windows 98 the OS stops at the booting sequence just after showing a low resolution screen.

My sata drivers should be ok as I already have another sata hard disk that windows 98 can easily access.

Can anyone tell me what could be the problem?

The bios shows the new hard disk as "Sata II" hard disk in contrast with the old sata hard disk which is recognized just with as "Sata".

I figured out that this could be the problem so I have put the jumper on this new seagate hard disk to make it behave like a normal sata and it did not work (bios is set in raid mode).

any suggestion?

Try the following:

1. Boot into Safe Mode.

2. If you cannot, stop here.

3. Go to the Device Manager

4. Under Hard Disk Controllers, delete all copies of "Standard Dual PCI IDE Controllers"

5. If none, stop here.

6. Reboot into normal mode.

7. If you cannot, stop here.

8. Let it install drivers and reboot.

9. If the problem reappears, you will need my SATA Patch.

I could not log in in safe mode cause I have 2 Gb Ram on the motherboard and I did not want to mess with the ram settings and configuration that works so great now.

I simply removed both the ide drivers and the sata drivers from the hardware devices and did reboot with the sata2 disk attached.

I had the same problem again.... windows does load just to the point it shows a low resolution screen with only the mouse pointer working.

(to restore the working system all I had to do was to remove the sata2 connector and reboot and I was able to restart in normal mode and reinstall the drivers easily at request of the OS.)

I assume it is not the VIA Sata driver the problem cause I removed them.

I guess there must be some kind of incompatibility between some other module of my windows98 and SATA2 disks?

Can anyone give information on that ?

Working in safe mode could help to solve the problem?

(P.s. to Rloew) How could I obtain this patch? and how would it work around the problem?

I could not log in in safe mode cause I have 2 Gb Ram on the motherboard and I did not want to mess with the ram settings and configuration that works so great now.

I simply removed both the ide drivers and the sata drivers from the hardware devices and did reboot with the sata2 disk attached.

I had the same problem again.... windows does load just to the point it shows a low resolution screen with only the mouse pointer working.

(to restore the working system all I had to do was to remove the sata2 connector and reboot and I was able to restart in normal mode and reinstall the drivers easily at request of the OS.)

I assume it is not the VIA Sata driver the problem cause I removed them.

I guess there must be some kind of incompatibility between some other module of my windows98 and SATA2 disks?

Can anyone give information on that ?

Working in safe mode could help to solve the problem?

(P.s. to Rloew) How could I obtain this patch? and how would it work around the problem?

You need to use Safe Mode to remove the problem driver.

If you boot in Normal Mode with the SATA2 Drive disconnected, the Device Manager will not show the SATA2 Driver, so you will not be able to remove it.

My Windows 98/SE/ME RAM Limitation Patch will give you full support of your 2GB of RAM in Normal Mode and in Safe Mode.

The Demo Version will let you run for 10 Minutes.

Install the Patch before doing Step 1 in my earlier post.

If you use the Demo Version, uninstall the Patch before going to Step 6.

There is no conpatability problem, specific to SATA2, with Windows 9X.

Some Chipsets have a problem with it.

My SATA Patch patches the Hard Disk Controller to deal with Interrupt and Initialization issues. An Associated INF File sets the proper configuration.

Note: Officially there is no such thing as "SATA2". It is an unofficial designation for 3GB/Sec SATA drives.

any suggestion?

Yes. rloew is right, once you installed the sata driver for the new drive without the jumper, you must go to safe mode to remove it. Using rloew's demo RAM limitation patch (and removing it afterwards) is the simplest and most reliable way to do it. Once the driver is removed, try to redetect it, since now your drive has the jumper (verify it's placed correctly). The VIA driver should now be able to deal with it. In case it does not work even so, rloew's SATA patch is the way to go. In case you use it, you should remove the VIA driver, however, because it uses ESDI_506.PDR instead. You can find all rloew's programs here (link).

Thanks for help!

The rloew patch is very useful to start windows in safe mode with a lot of ram! (2Gb in my case)

I tried almost all possible combination restarting windows98 and reinstalling drivers.

I had no succes to make this hard disk work in Windows 98.

On this PC I have an IDE disk and another Sata disk 250 Gb that works perfectly and it is recognized as "Sata" by bios instead of "Sata 2" .

My motherboard is Asrock 4coredual-Sata2 and the hard disk giving me problem is a Seagate Barracuda 1Tb model 7200.11 (code ST310000333AS).

Hope this information can be useful for who is planning to buy a Sata hard disk on this motherboard.

Reading the hard disk manual it states that the jumper can be used on motherboards that are not able to negotiate the transfer speed with the disk.

I imagine that my attempt must have failed cause the bios sees this hard disk as sata2 and the motherboard automatically negotiate the transfer speed with the disk without taking care of the jumper. Moreover I imagine that the win 98 sata drivers of the motherboard must be defective.

I believe that the fact that BIOS Sata mode must be set to Raid to make Sata disks work on win98 shows that the VIA drivers for w98 are far from beeing perfect.

Many thanks again to RLoew and Dencorso

VIA 8237 southbridge does not support SATA II speeds (I know your board has a 8237S, and that the latest info I was able to get is on the 8237R, although I doubt the S would be much different from the previous versions...). See: this and this. And about the SATA Driver 220E, see this and this. Bear in mind the 220E driver was written with the 8237's capabilities in mind. Did you try to let SATA disabled in BIOS, and, with the jumper in place on the HDD, then detect it just from within Win 98SE? It might work, though, and if it gets recognized as SATA I, then, the driver would be able to cope with it. Yea, it's a long shot, I know. You don't need the BIOS to detect the SATA drives, unless you're intending to boot from them.

In any case, rloew's patch should solve your problem, all right. It doesn't depend on VIA's drivers.

However:

beware of those Barracudas! :ph34r:

See The Solution for Seagate 7200.11 HDDs and numerous other threads in the Hardware Hangout about it.

If you just bought it and can exchange it for anything not Seagate nor Maxtor, I'd do it now. The problem is not in the size. It's in the maker. If you have to keep it, I think its advisable update its firmware while it's still OK. Do read the threads on the Hardware Hangout (I know it's a lot to read, sorry!), and form your opinion about it.