Ls and BT folder on usb stick is deleted

theboxhead

First of all i want to thank those persons who made this wonderful app, nvie work and greatly

apriciated !

Okay this is my problem:

When i have finished install ox XP Pro OEM sp2 the LS and BT folders on my stick is deleted and the boot.ini is not fixed.

I have read the sticky FAQ wich states that this happens if you have editet the winnt.sif file in the BT folder after

the winsetupfromUSB 0.2.3 has been run. As i understand the program removes the [unattended] section completely

from the file. And i have checked my winnt.sif and it has no unattended section.

Further i understand that the binifix5.cmd and undoren.cmd must be run to fix the boot.ini and to rename the BT an LS folders.

(if they are not renamed windows will delete them)

However i cannot find any section in my winnt.sif wich would cause this two to run.

So my question is:

1. What exactly should the program add to the winnt.sif file exept remove the unnatended section ?

If somebody could post a clean winnt.sif file wich is correct it would be very helpful.

2. Is the binifix5.cmd and undoren.cmd run through anotehr mecanism than winnt.sif ?

3. Exactly where should the undoren.cmd and binifix5.cmd reside on the usb stick ?

And yes i leave the usbstick in until the first windowslogin is finished after install.

Except these failures my stick works perfectly to install winXP on my test computer, i have used alotta time trying to figure this out

but i havent managed to do so. sorry if my question has been asked before.

Edited by theboxhead

They should be called by presetup.cmd:

http://www.msfn.org/board/issues-setup-t111989.html

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=880524

Two questions:

1. Is the stick seen as "Fixed" or "Removable"?
  2. Do you have one of those (USB) internal card readers instead of floppy drive on that PC?

It may be unrelated, but I seem to remember that the latter may confuse the program. :unsure:

In any case, please post some more details on your setup: hardware, drives, etc.

jaclaz

Thanks for the input !

1. I bellive it's seens as FIXED

2. Yes it's a laptop with an internal cardreader.

Is it someway to check that prestup.cmd is correctly installed ? i.e what loacation on usb drive.

My details are as follows

16GB NTFS formatted stick. Prepared as "removable" by winsetupfromUSB

Destination install is a HP laptop with internal cardreader.

During txt setup the HP internal hardrive is listed first and my usb second.

Is prestup.cmd to be runned after txtsetup or as the first step during guimode setup ?

Manythanks !

1. I bellive it's seens as FIXED

16GB NTFS formatted stick. Prepared as "removable" by winsetupfromUSB

If it's seen as FIXED, why did you try preparing it as REMOVABLE? :unsure:

You can try the other way, see here for some reference:

http://www.msfn.org/board/partition-instal...36.html&hl=

But I guess you should wait for ilko_t, that should be able to give you more accurate ideas to troubleshoot the issue. :thumbup

jaclaz

If i select the FIXED option i get an error when writing the bootsector.

I have tried on three different XP computers, running the winsetupfromUSB as administrator

but no matter what it just trows an error and the application exits.

But if i choose the REMOVABLE option everything goes along fine. But surely

this can maybe be a source of problem, when it's seen as fixed and prepared trough the setup as REMOVABLE ;)

thank you for the help and the link. gonna do some more research !

1. Did you have boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr on the hard disk? They are hidden system files.

2. Did you install Windows to C: as listed during Text mode?

3. Did you have any other partitions on the internal hard drive? Which one is active? Is any of them hidden?

4. Post contents of \windows\system32\$winnt$.inf in the internal hard disk, hiding any sensetive information it may consist. You should be able to start freshly installed Windows booting from the USB stick and selecting Second part of Setup.

5. Zip and attach WinSetupFromUSB.log found in program's directory. If it's too short- backups are cab compressed in \backups folder in case you started the program again.

Undoren.cmd is no longer used. Presetup is launched right before start of GUI mode, executes binifix5.cmd, which fixes boot.ini on C: and changes msdosinitiated to 0 in $winnt$.inf, thus preventing setup from deleting ~BT and ~LS folders. Something along that way failed in your case.

First off all, when you say harddisk i guess you mean my usb device wich is not a harddisk but a usb memory stick.

Second a correction my stick is seen as removable in windows.

1. On my stick i have boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect (without these i could not boot at all to setup XP ?

2. On my laptop here at work the internal laptop hd is listed in txt mode setup as C: second - My usb device is seen as D listed first.

I select the internal hd and completely delete the partitions. leaving me with one disk unpartioned space.

then i select that disk and quick format it as NTFS.

3. There is no more partitions left after my procedure. so XP gets installed to a clean single partition.

4-5 i will get back to you with this info.

Oh and i suddenly got to think of that i have DPdriverpacks added, the dp driver gets unpacked

at first stage of xp GUI setup - unpacking drivers. This is before the actual GUI XP setup screen is visible.

Can these cause the prestup.cmd not to run ?

Many thanks for the help.

Im doing a new install right now to recheck.

Edited by theboxhead

Okay results for my last run:

Botted on the stick and started the install rutine.

Internal disk was completely wiped trough txt setup i.e only one partition.

The internal disk was detected as C: and my usb stick as D:

Now i got a different result. The BT folder on my stick was not deleted but the LS folder got deleted.

Progress ! :) If i just could figure out how to avoid the LS folder to be deleted.

And also still the boot ini file was not fixed, ie i have to use the stick to boot XP.

Any clues to have to maybe fix this would be great.

PS! i can see that when i login to XP first time my usb stick has drive letter D:

Content of boot.ini on internal hd:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Content of $winnt$.inf on internal hd

[OobeProxy]

Enable=1

Flags=1

Autodiscovery_Flag=4

[Proxy]

Proxy_Enable=0

Use_Same_Proxy=0

Home_Page=http://www.google.com

[branding]

BrandIEUsingUnattended=Yes

[Components]

msmsgs=off

zonegames=off

[Networking]

InstallDefaultComponents=Yes

[identification]

JoinWorkgroup=WORKGROUP

[userData]

productkey=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

FullName=UserXP

OrgName=Prive

ComputerName=*

[Display]

BitsPerPel=32

Xresolution=1024

Yresolution=768

AutoConfirm=1

[GuiUnattended]

EncryptedAdminPassword=NO

OEMSkipRegional=1

TimeZone=110

AdminPassword=

OemSkipWelcome=1

[Data]

floppylessbootpath=\Device\HardDisk0\partition1

producttype=winnt

standardserverupgrade=no

win31upgrade=no

sourcepath=\device\harddisk0\partition1\$win_nt$.~ls

MsDosInitiated=1

floppyless=1

AutoPartition=0

OemPreinstall=Yes

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

UnattendedInstall=yes

UseSignatures=no

InstallDir=\WINDOWS

EulaComplete=1

winntupgrade=no

win9xupgrade=no

unattendswitch=yes

dospath=D:\$WIN_NT$.~LS

content of boot.ini on usb stick:

[boot Loader]

Timeout=5

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 1" /FASTDETECT

c:\="-------------------------"

c:\="Try entries below if getting HAL.DLL/NTOSKRNL.EXE not found errors"

c:\="--------------------------"

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 2" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 3" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 0 part 4" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 1" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 2" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 3" /FASTDETECT

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(2)partition(4)\WINDOWS="Second part of XP Professional setup from hd 1 part 4" /FASTDETECT

First off all, when you say harddisk i guess you mean my usb device wich is not a harddisk but a usb memory stick...
That's why I said hard disk, not USB stick ;)
1. Did you have boot.ini, ntdetect.com and ntldr on the hard disk?

There is something which was needed:

5. Zip and attach WinSetupFromUSB.log found in program's directory. If it's too short- backups are cab compressed in \backups folder in case you started the program again.
Okay results for my last run:...
There is FIXED/REMOVABLE radio button in WinSetupFromUSB program, did you play with it before?

For some reason your USB stick is detected as fixed (hard disk) during Setup.

sourcepath=\device\harddisk0\partition1\$win_nt$.~ls

Another possibility is that the fake setup.exe is not launched, it starts presetup.cmd.

Look in ~LS\I386 folder. Zip and attach with your next post setup.ex_ along with WinSetupFromUSB.log.

Yes boot.ini, ntldr and ntdetect was in the root of the laptops harddisk after setup had completed.

My winsetupfromUSB log:

WinSetupFromUSB.zip

My ~LS\I386 folders setup_ex file

SETUP.ZIP

Gonna do some more research from your help.

If i choose fixed option i get an error message from the program:

This is the log when i try to use the fixed option:

2009/09/04 15:50:23- Preparing ~BT folder completed

2009/09/04 15:50:23- Launching MkMigrateInf3.cmd

2009/09/04 15:50:24- Adding lines for rdummy.sys

2009/09/04 15:51:00- Couldn't write to aborting...

2009/09/04 15:51:00- ---------------------------------Program quited-----------------------------------------------

Picture:

post-259192-1252073065_thumb.jpg

Im so close to the perfect setup here ;)

If just the folder didn't get deleted and the boot ini file was corected i would be a very happy man :)

Edited by theboxhead

If i choose fixed option i get an error message from the program:

This is the log when i try to use the fixed option:

2009/09/04 15:50:23- Preparing ~BT folder completed

2009/09/04 15:50:23- Launching MkMigrateInf3.cmd

2009/09/04 15:50:24- Adding lines for rdummy.sys

2009/09/04 15:51:00- Couldn't write to aborting...

2009/09/04 15:51:00- ---------------------------------Program quited-----------------------------------------------

Do you select every time Prepare Boot/RC files only?

I see it marked on the screenshot posted as well as in the log file.

You should NOT use it when preparing USB stick.

This option is to be used:

1) If you want to place XP setup boot files ONLY in order to reach to the partition screen in Text mode and test of USB stick boots properly. USB stick has to be reformatted afterwards.

2) If you want to place Recovery Console only.

If adding another, full XP Setup, you need to answer NO when it finds another Windows source on the stick in order to rename existing ~LS and ~BT folders and patch setup and startup files.

Program will fail if FIXED button is selected along with Boot files/RC only option, this is corrected in the next, unpublished yet version.

Lets go through this step by step.

1) Reformat the USB stick, use NTFS

2) Select Windows source

3) Move radio button to FIXED

4) Do NOT add or select anything else yet

5) Press GO

6) Zip and attach here USB_stick\~LS\I386\presetup.cmd, the new WinSetupFromUSB.log, USB_root\txtsetup.sif and USB_stick\~LS\I386\setup.ex_

I will check those files first then you can continue with another attempt for setup. Later on, if everything worked fine you can add UBCD4Win and Vista, it doesn't have to be done on one go.

Edited by ilko_t

Do you select every time Prepare Boot/RC files only?

If I may offer some advice :unsure:, no matter whether there will be a fix in next version, you could rephrase:

Copy setup boot/RC files only

to:

ONLY copy setup boot/RC files

;)

jaclaz

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for long time away- real life kept me busy.

But i have now done as u said but the LS file stil gets deleted

and i have to use the stick to boot my new XP install. The BT folder is kept.

in txt mode setup my internal HD is listed as C: and my usb stick as D:

The usbstick is listed first.

Here are the files for latest session:

files.zip

But i have now done as u said but the LS file stil gets deleted

Here are the files for latest session:

files.zip

The lines in red are what you have NOT done:

Lets go through this step by step.

1) Reformat the USB stick, use NTFS

2) Select Windows source

3) Move radio button to FIXED

4) Do NOT add or select anything else yet

5) Press GO

6) Zip and attach here USB_stick\~LS\I386\presetup.cmd, the new WinSetupFromUSB.log, USB_root\txtsetup.sif and USB_stick\~LS\I386\setup.ex_

I will check those files first then you can continue with another attempt for setup. Later on, if everything worked fine you can add UBCD4Win and Vista, it doesn't have to be done on one go.

WinSetupFromUSB.log is also incomplete.

All this requests have a reason behind and are also to save both parties time. Please read and follow carefully.

Although unrelated- it seems your source now is missing 3 files iastor2,3 and 4.sys, present earlier in C:\Boot\XPOEMENG\I386\. Did you make new changes to your source?

winsetupfromusb.log is complete i checked the orginal logfile, but yeah it seems

cut off dunno why.

reformat it is a no go currently since i have about 25 other tools on that stick.

I know some iastor files is missing - i copied those manually to my sources- if not i get a bluescreen.

Well its not a biggy - im greatfull for all your guys help in this issue. When i find the time to redo my whole

usb stick i might format and give it another go but for now i put this on hold.