HP Recovery install failing to finish.

rcd43jc

I am trying to do a recovery from an OEM recovery CD on an HP dv9007tx notebook. The install will continue through the point of registering several software packages at which time it will get into a shut down and restart mode of which it never ends. I have let it run all night and it just keeps going like the Energizer Bunny. HP was supposed to give me a call back after a non-sucessful "live chat". I then came across this forum of which gave me some hope that a fix will be found. The FBI install agent will flash momentarialy before each shutdown. Interesting thing is there is no menu option during CD boot for recovery options, and the f11 key does not work. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I forgot to mention that it is Windows Vista Home Premium Edition.

Edited by rcd43jc

I am using the CD recovery disk from HP. I was installing it onto a new HD. After reading the great posts from this site I learned about the whole f11 thing. I don't think it is big deal that I have to have that feature. I would assume that it would come back after the full recovery anyway. I haven't heard anything from HP yet. I had seen some posts on clean installs and was wondering if that is the way to go. What do you think about that?

The HP recovery discs are not designed to install onto hardware that is different than what came with the computer. There are different versions of the recovery software. Perhaps you are the one that looks for the data string installed into the hard drive and it won't install for you?

Well, I got it up and running sort of. I chose to do an f8 on startup, perform Start from previous configuration, and let it go until it started the restart loop hangup. I then ended the FBISM process which then makes the machine not shutdown. I then let it update with the HP and Windows updates and also performed a BIOS update. My problem now is the HDD0 is configured as C: Boot 24.02Gig, and 87.7 is unallocated. HP had a fix as being that Vista does not report the proper HDD partion sizes and you perform a "Shrink and Expand" procedure. However, mine willl not perform that function. Any other ideas that might work?

Hi the hp recovery first makes a partition to hold the hp recovery then it installs to it once that is finished it will start the install from that recovery partition, this is on a new drive that has no recovery partition in place. As for dif hardware I use dif hard drives and no problem but as usual I only have one hard drive plugged in when installing windows. This is for newer hp recovery like a year old now anyway.