Opera 10

Mijzelf

Users of Opera 10.10 build 1893 may or may not be aware, that even with Opera Unite disabled, (located bottom left of browser along side Opera Link and Opera Turbo) the browser still tries to make an outbound UDP connection to it's server.

This can be prevented by removing the check from 'Discover Local Opera Unite Users'. This is located under Tools, Opera Unite Server.

That is unless this type of thing 'floats your boat'.                                                      

Edit: Additional Information. 

To disable Opera Unite completely and remove all traces from the user interface, go to opera:config and under UserPrefs, remove the check from Enable Unite. Click on the Save button and restart Opera.

HTH

Edited by lightning slinger

• 3 weeks later...

I just want to confirm that the observations posted here previously by fortcollins appear to be dead-on accurate.

The random pauses and freezes are becoming a serious issue. And, like most Opera bugs this one is not step-by-step reproducible.

All throughout the 9.xx series I only noticed similar random freezes when saving MHT files, non-reproducible, perhaps one time out of every 20 saves. The pause/freeze paralyzes all Opera instances. This behavior still exists in the 10.xx branch of course.

What has changed for the worse is that on the 10.xx branch the random pause/freeze occurs no matter what you happen to be doing. In fact it has happened (*) while I was typing this very post. All three versions in 10.xx have actually gotten worse!

It smells like a memory management issue to me, but as has been stated here already the culprit is likely related to the disk cache. Regardless, as far as I'm concerned its virtual memory management is FUBAR. I will try out a few more 10.xx iterations before resurrecting 9.2x or 9.6x.

IMHO, it is possible that the developers are making the classic mistake of testing on multi-core multi-GB RAM systems where the bugs get easily masked by super-fast hardware. And if this is the case, we are witnessing the early stages of the Opera post-Win9x era. Smart programmers test their compiled binaries on the slowest machines they can find. Stupid programmers never do.

My suggestion for Opera users here at MSFN is to get involved by signing up and opening threads over there! I believe it is now or never.

(*) freezes during this single post = 1 2 3 4 times in perhaps 10 minutes.

Thank you lightning slinger for the advice on disabling and removing Unite from Opera 10.10. I wasn't aware it was trying to "call home" and that apparently was the cause of the aggravating long system response delay every time after initial loading.

On a separate note, I have not experienced the random pauses and freezes to the extent described by CharlotteTheHarlot and fortcollins, and I'm running Opera with an old fairly slow CPU. It does seem to occur occasionally but infrequently enough where it really isn't an annoyance. As mentioned in a previous post, I did experience the aggravating 100% CPU utilization bug in Opera 10.00 but it seems to have been fixed starting with Opera 10.01. The root cause(s) of that problem apparently were related to memory and cache management. I did report the bug to them using their reporting system.

I don't see it.

Could you post the links you used for the download and for the OS support discussion.

Thanks.

Version 10.20 is still Alpha from what I can see and has only widget updates, which I don't use anyway. Link for classic installer is

http://snapshot.opera.com/windows/Opera_10...895_classic.exe

Check out the information on the following page about a pre-alpha release of 10.5

http://myopera.com/desktopteam/blog

HTH

Edited by lightning slinger

I use WinMe where it installed real easily without using the KEX. It said it is only meant for XP and up, but I still got it installed without the nagged screen of saying my system is not compatible.

@Spitfire

Is that the normal (MSI/Installshield) installer or the Classic one?

Version 10.20 is still Alpha from what I can see and has only widget updates, which I don't use anyway.

@lightning slinger

Having read through their comments I get the feeling the devs are just going to keep shoehorning new features endlessly without regard to existing problems, Win9x will probably be sacrificed to the gods of advancement. I only saw one comment from someone asking for bug fixes, everyone else acting sycophantic. This sounds like slow-motion software suicide. I am tempted to post the following:

Devs: I got an idea, since we have like a 2% market share let's reduce it further by cutting the legs off everyone using Windows below Win2K. And we can revisit that next year and kill off Win2k and WinXP as well so everyone will buy Vista I mean 7. If we can do that maybe Microsoft will give Opera a better position on the browser selection screen! Then we'll really be in the bigtime.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

I only saw one comment from someone asking for bug fixes, everyone else acting sycophantic. This sounds like slow-motion software suicide. I am tempted to post the following:

Devs: I got an idea, since we have like a 2% market share let's reduce it further by cutting the legs off everyone using Windows below Win2K. And we can revisit that next year and kill off Win2k and WinXP as well so everyone will buy Vista I mean 7. If we can do that maybe Microsoft will give Opera a better position on the browser selection screen! Then we'll really be in the bigtime.

Apart the 2009 Award you just got for the most gratuitious use of the word "sycophantic" :w00t: on a technical board ;) , I agree completely to your proposal. :yes:

I would also add:

This way, you will also have more time to focus on important things like supporting Opera on portable devices with a 0.01" inch screen, or no screen at all and of course to better Opera Unite, so that every moron around will be able to share easily (and illegally) everything he has on his/her PC, and this will greatly help to find a way to shut down your business for legal reasons: BTW, I personally find a grest idea to make the new features:

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=340121

UGLY in I.E. this is exactly what the good MS guys did for years (deliberately creating web apps that created content INcompatible with Firefox and Opera) and one of the reasons why they gained so much sympathy from the non-technically-impaired public and from EU.

Heck, as soon as they managed to have a good platform, they are killing it's base for new features. :(

Of course my opinion is strictly personal and most probably not the best advise from a commercial point of view, I am not a market guru like the ones that suggested that Coke and Pepsi should have a new formula and taste:

http://www.walletpop.com/specials/top-25-b...ops-of-all-time

(check entries #1 and #13)

jaclaz

Apart the 2009 Award you just got for the most gratuitious use of the word "sycophantic" :w00t: on a technical board ;)...

I've had some time the last few days to dabble on Win9x and here I am in Opera 10 trying to figure out what they did to cause these interminable freezes. Most recent un-successful fix was killing the built-in spellcheck. So after you replied as above I had to go find out if I spelled it wrong! Its ok! And thanks for the award! But my real award-winning comments are reserved for emails to Opera developers. They would get auto-censored here and banned over there.

...This way, you will also have more time to focus on important things like supporting Opera on portable devices with a 0.01" inch screen, or no screen at all and of course to better Opera Unite, so that every moron around will be able to share easily (and illegally) everything he has on his/her PC, and this will greatly help to find a way to shut down your business for legal reasons...

Exactly right. And I can't wait til someone gets freezes/pauses on one of these (a picture from Opera website showing some cellphones and other toys they support):

img-threemobilephones.png

Heck, as soon as they managed to have a good platform, they are killing it's base for new features. :(

I just had to quote that statement. It is clear and concise and conveys exactly what I am thinking (minus the boiling anger that occurs every few minutes). Well said. :thumbup

... I am not a market guru like the ones that suggested that Coke and Pepsi should have a new formula and taste:

http://www.walletpop.com/specials/top-25-b...ops-of-all-time

You know one of the weird things about that is the fact that when Coke was about to change (remember that the consumers had plenty of fore-warning), people went out and hoarded the old stuff for personal consumption and because it may become a collector item, it pretty much sold out. Then, the new stuff came and most people had to try it, some again thinking it would be a collector item and probably sold out. Then the Classic comes out in replacement and sells more. It leaves you wondering if the whole thing wasn't a giant success anyway :wacko:

For a while there I thought Microsoft would employ the same trick with WinXP. They certainly succeeded in getting people to buy it before the cut-off deadline. Their mistake was not re-introducing the cash-cow WinXP (probably as MCE) and offering it for sale in perpetuity. That was a real marketing blunder! Instead, they appear to have bet it all on Windows Mojave, umm I mean 7.

P.S. Reminder to all: no spell check on this post! Be kind to me.

You know one of the weird things about that is the fact that when Coke was about to change (remember that the consumers had plenty of fore-warning), people went out and hoarded the old stuff for personal consumption and because it may become a collector item, it pretty much sold out. Then, the new stuff came and most people had to try it, some again thinking it would be a collector item and probably sold out. Then the Classic comes out in replacement and sells more. It leaves you wondering if the whole thing wasn't a giant success anyway :wacko:

Real programmers....: http://uranus.chrysocome.net/coke.htm

;)

jaclaz

Slightly off-topic: On my EEE laptop running Xandros, the Opera drive cache also caused a problem. After some use (several weeks) Opera didn't work well anymore, strange errors, couldn't download anything due to 'disk full' while the was enough free. I solved it by reformatting the rw layer of the unionfs root.

Two weeks ago the same problems reoccurred. This time I decided to delete the diskcache (rm -rf ~/.opera/cache), and that took about 10 minutes. (On a SSD!). After that everything went fine again.

Perhaps Opera does strange things in the cache, which unionfs doesn't like, and maybe FAT/vfat doesn't like it either.

Opera 10.5 pre-Alpha is out. Here is the download link for the Classic installer (as opposed to the MSI one given at Opera Labs):

Opera 10.5 build 3172 Classic Installer

As a pre-Alpha, expect crashes and instability (assuming that it installs and runs at all - there have been a lot of changes under the hood since version 10.10).

Edit: oops, corrected the download link. Now it really is for Opera 10.5. Apologies - I shouldn't post here when tired. ;)

Edited by bristols

to Mijzelf, triger49, fortcollins ...

What app were you using to see the 100% CPU usage? If it is SYSMON, is the Win98se or the WinME version?

to Everyone ...

Noticing on Opera 10.10.1893 that for every download I start, a new tab 'Downloads' opens. I could swear that this is new behaviour and that previously all downloads would get thrown into the already existing 'Downloads' tab. The preference setting, if any, eludes me.

EDIT: It is found in: Downloads Tab > View > Never Show When Starting Download. Thank you Dave-H. I missed that setting and that thread with the answer. Using my better judgement I shall keep my opinion of this to myself.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot