Opera 10

Mijzelf

Has anybody already tried Opera 10 on his W9x system? My instance very soon starts eating 100% CPU time, and I would like to know if all 9x systems have this problem.

I switched off all features I could find in Opera, but no luck.

Has anybody already tried Opera 10 on his W9x system? My instance very soon starts eating 100% CPU time, and I would like to know if all 9x systems have this problem.

I switched off all features I could find in Opera, but no luck.

I have been using Opera 10 for a while now, firstly with Beta 3 Build 1699 and then RC Build 1733 and Now Build 1750 and it does not soak up ANY resources quicker than Opera 9.64 did under similar conditions.

After 1 hours general surfing, the Resource Meter was giving System @ 65%, User @83% and GDI @65%.

Memload V2 gave a figure of 124M after that one hour and Process Explorer V11.10 generally gave a figure for Opera which varied between 0.50 and 8.00% CPU except when viewing a page with Flash content when it peaked @ 98%. 

These figures are no better or no worse than those presented by FF2 for a similar period and were taken on my 98SE2ME box.

I normally surf with everything disabled in Opera except for Block Unwanted Pop Ups enabled so I cannot imagine if you are doing similar where your problem lies.

HTH

Opera 10 runs on Windows 95! There aren't many (any?) other new software releases left that can claim that distinction. Performance is reasonable, too. Lately I've been using SeaMonkey as my regular browser, but I may seriously consider this instead.

The biggest issue I have with recent Opera versions is values not rendering properly in image property dialogues. (Any way around this?)

Great news! Andrew T

It's flying on my 98SE Box!

Although my 95 PC, is only 133Mgz, with only 64 MB, I hope it's going to still work well enough to use and keep once I install it.

Absolutely perfect though for my 98SE.

Very, Very fast with 667 Mgz, with only 191 MB!!!!!!!!!!!!

Curious .... :unsure:

I too, am having problems with Opera 10..... after viewing several web pages

it will slow to a crawl and eventually just hang. I uninstalled it, reverted back to

Ver 9 and all is well again.

On a side note, the 100% cpu usage thing also occured, but only on certain

websites ...Yahoo in particular. Avoid yahoo and one or two others and Cpu

usage falls back to the 5 - 15 % range.

Jake

Curious .... :unsure:

I too, am having problems with Opera 10..... after viewing several web pages

it will slow to a crawl and eventually just hang. I uninstalled it, reverted back to

Ver 9 and all is well again.

On a side note, the 100% cpu usage thing also occured, but only on certain

websites ...Yahoo in particular. Avoid yahoo and one or two others and Cpu

usage falls back to the 5 - 15 % range.

Jake

Curious indeed.... :unsure:

By default Opera has too much enabled for my liking. I only enable Block Unwanted Pop Ups and disable everything else. I only enable what is needed on a site by site basis with Edit Site Prefs.

My only suggestion is to disable everything and surf around the same sites again and see if the problem goes away.

I suspect Flash will be the culprit and this has been reported in other threads affecting various browsers. I use Flash 9.0.47.0 as I have had problems with the later versions and this version is considered by many as the last fully functional version under 9X.

The version of Flash being used by some posters reporting problems with Opera may have some bearing on the fact that some users are having problems and others are not.

Tihiy is looking into the issue of font leak in Flash if you refer to the threads relating to his current projects and a successful outcome of this may help us all.

HTH

Like some others I have had problems with Opera 10's resources usage. I'm not sure if a leak in Flash had anything to do with them, but I found that things improved significantly when the standard skin, special effects and smooth scrolling were disabled. Pity, it's a nice skin, and I like Jon Hicks (a senior designer at Opera responsible for it).

Has anyone tried Opera 10 with Tihiy's modded msimg32.dll (which, I think, ships with KernelEx) and noticed a difference?

Edited by bristols

Opera 10 turned into a nogo for me.

I ran into the cache 100% copy utilization cache problem quickly. Doing some research, I found that same story with both Windows 7 and Linux. It doesn't seem to be a Win 98 problem. Somebody said it said a "non-XP" problem.

They took out the links to the aspell spelling checker and you only have the interactive spell checker. The underlines are hard for me to see with a high resolution monitor. With the old one, I could do a final spelling check by clicking the spell check and quickly getting a spell check complete box. Now I have to go back screen by screen and look for underlines I might have mixed. The new one sucks.

They also screwed up the color of a font, browser panels, something that has worked fine since Opera 3.

While some people claim to have had zero problems with 10, the number of problems and user frustration level seems to have hit a new high in the forum at http://my.opera.com/community/forums/forum.dml?id=26

Many people there seem very frustrated, such as one post "Disgruntled Opera 10 user: some things never change, eh?" http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=291379 The forum closed the thread as "Non-constructive"

Although my 95 PC, is only 133Mgz, with only 64 MB, I hope it's going to still work well enough to use and keep once I install it.

Tell us about the results, I'm curious.

I also want to try its new Opera Turbo feature. It should be very good for my dial-up connection om 98 se box.

• 3 weeks later...

M( )zart! I just discovered your post.

I tried it on my Win 95 box a day or two after posting that post saying I was going to try it, and I've no idea if it worked or not!!!

I was distracted by some symptoms of a swine-ish flue type of experience--lasting two bloody weeks!

Turned out to be just a severe cold!

Bad enough though, to distract me from my PC experimentations.

I will try it out again, and see if it works! ...then post the results.

Well, i just tried to install the latest Opera 10.00 on my 95 B box with no luck!

For the record, this has the latest service pack, and still has the IE 3 version as given.

It goes through the commencing install, untill this message appears:

Error 1723. There is a problem with this Windows installer package.

A DLL required required for this install to complete could not be run.

Contact your support yada-yada-yada...

Action SetLocaleCode, Entry: SetLocaleCode, Library: C:\...\MSI1083.TMP

What am I doing wrong?

It works for Andrew T. But not for Me!

Edited by cyberformer