Logon Screen

hi

i want to change the default logon screen of a windows 7 ultimate image...is that posible? and how?

thx

The logon screen is in imageres.dll from install.wim - windows - sytem32 (image 5 if you use ultimate). You will find 13 bmp's in different sizes. You will have to change only your monitor uses (your default resolution), or, in case you want, all of them. Actually, it's more than 13 pics inside that dll, but you will have to change only the blue ones. You can use PExplorer, ResHacker, ResEdit or ResourceTunner to modify .dll resources

Edited by Adadu

how can i open that dll after mounting the image with dism? i mean it wont open with res hacker....i have tried with take ownership but is the same .... please help

I will describe my way:

Use GImagex, mount install.wim, look for imageres.dll in windows - system32 and edit it with PExplorer

050008354aa181d3a6fbc.jpg

Hope I helped you.

Regards,

Adadu

Edited by Adadu

• 2 weeks later...

something weird is happening here...

After I mount install.wim, edit imageres.dll and try to replace the original file, I receive the message saying that I need permission to perform this action. This error persists after I click 'Try Again' countless time

what could be going wrong?

(Im using imagex /mountrw to mount install.wim)

tks

• 2 months later...
something weird is happening here...

After I mount install.wim, edit imageres.dll and try to replace the original file, I receive the message saying that I need permission to perform this action. This error persists after I click 'Try Again' countless time

what could be going wrong?

(Im using imagex /mountrw to mount install.wim)

tks

You have to "take ownership" on every file you try to change. This is your problem. If you don't take ownership of that file, you will not be able to change anything in it.

image9.png

hello, don't do it on the mount

modify the files you want then mount image takeowner and replace them. I've changed my boot, login and shutdown screens completely, only see a little bit of that old image now when installing.

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...140340&st=0

Edited by maxXPsoft

• 1 month later...
Is modifying this file even necessary?

Windows 7 allows you to change the logon through the registry. It's to help OEM Builders to brand their computers.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/03/16/w...-ui-backgrounds

Couldn't this be applied at some point during one of the passes?

dated 16 March 2009

with Oem machines you won't even see what we are seeing

And that mess don't work with an Unattended.

I once again added that and it don't change nothing on an Unattended installation. I added all the files and changed the registry

I've still yet to figure out after it does the reboot and you see the new nice logo appear the screen reverts back to 'Powder Puff'

Karate + nice-guy, we are talking about customizing not only the Windows 7 logon screens, but also editing the Windows PE portion during the DVD installation so that we don't see any Microsoft's images while installing. That is the key difference, the OEM registry method does not accomplish the full goal. (it only does applies after installation is completed).

Since Vista/7 are based on boot.wim installations this is the method of creating custom boot.wim's for your DVD's. The OEM method does not alter the boot.wim and there-fore does not offer the same level of customization. (but it does work perfectly fine once the OS is fully installed). If anyone is satisfied with the blue image during the installation, then use the registry tweak, otherwise, if you need to trick out your boot.wim, this is the correct method.

Edited by MrJinje