BIOS only recognises 1 SATA drive

Hi.

I've an Asrock K7 Upgrade 880 motherboard which only recognises the current hdd. There are 2 SATA connectors and so I should be able to plug in a 2nd SATA drive. However, not alone will the mobo bios not recognise a 2nd SATA drive, even if I remove the current drive and replace it with a new one, the mobo doesn't recognise it at all.

Originally, I thought this was confined to SATA2 (3.0g/s) drives, but even if I replace the current drive with other SATA1 drives, they don't get picked up by the bios.

Any reason for this?

Thanks.

Hi.

Sorry for the delay, I've been away. Yes have tried each of the power connectors on the psu. The other thing is that the mobo / bios no longer allows the machine to go into standby mode (screen goes off but fans continue at full speed).

Thanks.

I would reset the BIOS to default by the jumper on the motherboard and see if that helps. You could also try the latest BIOS update, but beware that there is always a risk involved when updating, read all the instructions carefully.

That VIA SATA controller is also known for problems, but your first harddisk should work any way. There is also a possibility that the power supply has gone bad or even the motherboard it self besides the BIOS.