Average yearly salaries in the IT industry

Zenskas

I would like to eventually get into the IT industry when I 'grow up' :blushing: and of course, like with any job I want to do, it has much negative criticism from my Dad (who knows nothing at all about computers-I taught him how to use word, browse the net etc). For some reason, unless I am a doctor or something like that, I will be stuck on $20 per hour for the rest of my life. I am now wondering how much money I would really be earning (especially later on) and the advantages and pros of working in the IT field. I am thinking along the lines of website design, hardware engineer, system/network admin, general PC technician etc.

Also, what sorts of qualifications would I need (just to confirm what I already think, and to tell Dad you don't need to get outstanding results for every subject to get a job in the IT field-you need more of a desire to learn about ICT and gain experience in the field)?

Edited by Zenskas

In my opinion whatever field you decide to get into... make sure you enjoy it. ;) Make sure you could imagine yourself doing it for a very long time. Computers will be around for a very long time. They run the world. Every business has a need for an IT person. What would doctors do nowadays without an IT person? Most doctors don't know much about computers. Why should they? They are meant to fix people... not computers.

You can make some really good money in the IT industry if you have patience and get experiance. Don't expect to make 100 k or better right off the bat. But if you apply yourself and really stick to it you can make 100k + per year. I don't know if that is enough in your mind... but it is a lot of money to me. :)

Computers are a forever changing world. So remember if you want to stay strong in the computer industry you will allways be learning new things and going to school or studying in some way. A small IT job may only make about $15 - $20 per hour. But once you gain experiance and prove yourself you can get a job making much more. If you run your own business you could easily make $75 or more per hour per computer you work on! Just imagine working on 5 computers at the same time and making $75 per hour x 5! Thats $375 per hour. :thumbup

Also, you may want to tell your dad about a couple of guys which started hacking together things in a garage....

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/n.../dayintech_0404

...I can imagine :unsure: little Bill's dad (an Attorney) telling him some wise words :

"Look son, why don't you just go to Law School...."

Just like little Steve's father may have said "Lasers, future is in lasers....":

http://www.theapplemuseum.com/index.php?id=49

http://www.filmsite.org/grad.html

By the family swimming pool, Ben receives words of advice from Mr. McGuire (Walter Brooke), a family friend, in one of the most memorable lines from film history:

Mr. McGuire: I just want to say one word to you - just one word.

Ben: Yes sir.

Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?

Ben: Yes I am.

Mr. McGuire: 'Plastics.'

Ben: Exactly how do you mean?

Mr. McGuire: There's a great future in plastics. Think about it. Will you think about it?

Ben: Yes I will.

Mr. McGuire: Shh! Enough said. That's a deal.

:P

jaclaz