Windows Virtual PC freezing Windows 7...?

rculver9056

Has anyone had a problem with the Virtual PC RC freezing?

I was running Vista in Virtual PC (and had for a few days) but then the other day it just froze the whole computer.

I thought it might have been because I increased the ram size to the max (Tried 4GB, but vpc wouldn't have it, then just accepted the 3-ish GB maximum).

After the freeze, I rebooted (Oh yeah - It froze the PC for about 30 seconds or so, then Windows 7 just rebooted), and put the ram back to 1GB, and tried again, but it still froze. Then I tried running Virtual Windows XP, and it froze again. And again.

Can't just be me, right? What have I done to deserve this? Lil' ol' moi...? LOL

By the way, I have 8GB of RAM - I got more just so I could give more to the virtual machines.

Surely if I max the Vista vm out (at 3-is GB), thaere is plenty left for Windows 7...?

Has anyone had a problem with the Virtual PC RC freezing?

I was running Vista in Virtual PC (and had for a few days) but then the other day it just froze the whole computer.

I thought it might have been because I increased the ram size to the max (Tried 4GB, but vpc wouldn't have it, then just accepted the 3-ish GB maximum).

After the freeze, I rebooted (Oh yeah - It froze the PC for about 30 seconds or so, then Windows 7 just rebooted), and put the ram back to 1GB, and tried again, but it still froze. Then I tried running Virtual Windows XP, and it froze again. And again.

Can't just be me, right? What have I done to deserve this? Lil' ol' moi...? LOL

By the way, I have 8GB of RAM - I got more just so I could give more to the virtual machines.

Surely if I max the Vista vm out (at 3-is GB), thaere is plenty left for Windows 7...?

A delay before it reboots sounds like the dreaded infinite loop problem crash problem I used to have.

(That would occur when running Need For Speed III, in 2002, when Windows XP was the new kid on the block. (video) )

The symptoms would be that the video freezes for at least around 10 seconds then Windows reboots. (stop error, obviously!)

(And in 1 case, when I was running Need For Speed III, the music would still be playing like nothing happened during the freeze before Windows reboots. LOL. )

-> The blame would go on the video driver.

Do you have a "STOP: 0x000000EA THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER" logged?

Sounds like that problem may be back with Windows 7. :(

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP - Don't know about the error logs, and there wasn't a blue screen.

Talking of blue screens, I tried VirtualBox with Vista, and after using it for a while, got a bluescrren in Windows 7 (You know, when it kindly shutdown the computer for me...).

Maybe my PC just ain't up to this virtualization crap, but check the specs: Atlon x2 x64, 8GB RAM, GeForce 94000 GT 1GB graphics...