Internet access from laptop

JazzCat

Hi there,

I am having troubles with the internet. I have an ethernet cable going directly from my speedtouch modem to my laptop's LAN port. When I ping www.google.com at the command prompt, I get some replies, some of the time and some failures aswell. The amount of replies and failures varies but I never get four solid replies. Also, when I go into Internet Explorer, I am getting the "Web site found, waiting for reply" down the bottom left as if it sees the net but will not load www.google.com or any other web page for that matter.

So far, I have run malwarebytes and superantispyware to remove bad objects and have completely removed Trend Micro to eliminate firewall issues. Still the same problem.

Could this be a bad LAN adapter or do you think it's a virus?

Any help appreciated.

Annoying, isn't it? This sort of thing can be hard to diagnose. Start by verifying that your stack is good by letting this command run for a while: ping -t 127.0.0.1

Then do the same thing but with your modem's IP. Then do it again with Google. You are troubleshooting to find the problem spot in your connection.

This problem could be lots of things from a loose Ethernet jack to a short in your cable or a routing issue. These initial tests should verify that your hardware and local machine are not the culprits.

If you're using a SpeedTouch modem, then you're likely using DSL. In which case, I'd put my chips down on a poor connection from your ISP. Most SpeedTouch modems also act as routers. If you look at your network connection properties, check to see what your network gateway is. Try pinging that. Pinging your public IP should also give you the same results.

Edited by jcarle