ParentIDPrefix 8& vs. "normal" 7&

Macster

I seem to be missing a key peice of info. I was wondering in 0.2.3 how to setup the USB thumb drive to a specific drive upon boot up like in the previous versions it used to be refered to as Drive U: now it seems it is refered to after the primary particitian or basically in my system drive D: which happens to be where I store my program data and where programs get installed. Is there some provision or way to setup the thumb drive to a specific drive letter?

Thanks in advance to any advice you may have or particular post you was able to find to help me in this endevour.

Oh I am sorry, I ran the program on XP Pro SP 3 to do an XP Pro SP 3 install. I currently have Windows 7 on my lappy and figured that using XP to make the install was the safest especially when making an XP install. I have been using the same 2 gig. USB stick the whole time - setup as an NTFS bootable device (currently), back then I was using 16 bit bootable device for speed.

As far as to your other question, I was using your version 0.1 (not the beta) until just recently until I happen to come across your site a couple of days ago and noticed that you had an update. And then felt the urge to find my pilots liscence due to the number of options available for prepping the USB device. LOL! As far as the 0.1 it was still using U: drive reference, but I didn't have HP formating tool set the device to NTFS bootable device either. So it could be the fact that I switched to NTFS, not exactly sure. Are you thinking that this could be a bios thing?

Edited by Macster

MkMigrateInf.cmd has been updated as per this topic:

http://www.msfn.org/board/2-t131770.html

What Windows did you run the program under? Was it the same Windows as before, when it worked? Was it the same USB stick?

Please attach migrate.inf in ~BT directory on the USB stick.

For some reason this has failed. So I am now trying it a new install that is just a plain Jane install, meaning no Extra emenities added into the install like IE8, dotNet, the patches and NLite reg tweaks. I just have SP3 slipstreamed into the install. That is it.

BTW sorry for the LLOONNGG explanation earlier, I didn't realise what you was asking until I read Pipsters thread. Truly interesting. Anyway to better answer your question, I ran your program on a fresh install of XP Pro SP3 to make a new install of XP Pro SP3 after which I noticed that some of my programs where being installed on the USB thumb drive. The thumb drive used is an ULTRA 2 gig. which has been used extensively for these purposes.

FYI the link in your message post 70 of thread titled, "USBstick take letter D and not U, I choose to assign U to the USBkey.." points to the last page of the thread not to page 3 post 56 where the command file can be found by cdob, if this is even the file you was mentioning earlier. It took me quite a while to find this file in the thead. But it is truly an amazing story. Poor Poor Pipster.... LOL! Sorry couldn't resist. ROTFL!!! He truly made a great test subject.

It still failed. I still get D: not U: as the reference to the drive.

I am now trying HP's Prep tool, but still using 0.2.3 to make the install on the USB without copying the Migrate file. It still failed. And failed when I copied the migrate.inf file over.

Let me try with 16 bit fat, where it worked before with HP's prep tool and 0.1 version of the program, but this time will be with 0.2.3 and its prep tool without the migrate.inf file. Well it failed here too. I get D: instead of U:.

And I again tried copying the migrate.inf file, it still failed yet again.

Not sure what to try next.

I have been just going to the text part of the install and I get the D: to the thumb drive. Also before when it did work with 0.1 version, my drive topology was:

c: Partition 1 (XP Install)

D: Partition 2

E: Partition 3 (Hidden)

F: DVD

U: USB Thumbdrive

Currently on XP:

C: Partition 1 (XP Install)

D: USB Thumbdrive

E: Partition 2

F: DVD

G: Partition 3 (Hidden)

When I ran the MkMigratge_b.cmd each time (even on 16 bit fat), it could not find #7, and had to make adjustments.

I hope all of this helps. It is getting pretty late for me here. So I am going to turn in.

Attached is MIGRATE.INF.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide to this.

Edited by Macster

@Macster

Which ParentIdPrefix does USB Thumbdrive use at regular windows?

Oh sorry for the late responce. ParentIDPrefix for the current install of XP is 8&9013452&0. (Sorry, this is for the Sony 256 MB.)

Edit:

Oops, I gave you the wrong one. I accually have two USB Thumb Drives.

1. Sony 256 MB Thumb

2. Ultra 2 GB Thumb.

Both of these have been used on the current XP install.

The ParentIDPrefix for the Ultra 2 GB is 8&35debb9c&0.

Edited by Macster

Attached is MIGRATE.INF.

Try the attached migrate.inf, place it in ~BT directory on the USB stick.

Did USB stick get letter U: ?

Yep, I got U: ... reference to the Ultra thumb on fat 16 and NTFS. It is amazing one Byte can make that much difference. WOW! So why did you change it from a 7 to an 8? I don't have a hex descriptor, (but I can read ASCII on occasions and mainly numbers) so I do not know where this playes in the file. It would appear that you guys are able to detect why this is happening (meaning the D: instead of the U: stuff).

Now I have another question, as soon as I install XP again would the ParentIDPrefix change? If so, would it make the file you just gave me obsolete? <already answered)

Thanks all the same. :thumbup

Edit:

I just answered one my questions about the file being obsolete, I guess it still maintains the ParentIDPrefix after a ReInstall of XP. So does migrate.inf reintroduce the ParentIDPrefix or does the install come up with it and migrate.inf utilizes that same ID?

Edited by Macster

@macster

@ilko_t

What if I split the group of posts and make a new separated "specific 7& vs. 8&" thread, in order to "lighten" the present "general" one? :unsure:

jaclaz

Good idea :)

I did some more "cleaning by splitting" of recent issues.

Maybe it's time to do a "global" splitting, like I did on boot-land for Amalux's Tutorial (which was going as well "out of control"):

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?showforum=31

jaclaz

I wonder- what would happen if we put in migrate.inf both values 7 and 8 pointing to the same drive letter?

If not possible- maybe put first entry, with 7 as U: and 8 for say W:, would that cover all possibilities?

Has anyone seen prefix starting with 6, or 9?

@Jaclaz- thanks for cleaning up :)

@macster

Did you prepare on AND install Windows to the same machine?

If yes- does it have USB card reader?

If no- does both machines have USB card readers?

Can you test with the attached migrate.inf, does USB stick get letter U:? If doesn't work- change the second U: to W:.

migrate.inf

Edited by ilko_t

Poor Poor Macster, sorry couldn't resist too. A new tester volunteered.

I haven't found a full ParentIdPrefix explanation.

Windows store drive letter at HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices.

Migrate.inf contains these drive letter settings.

Assumption: current running windows and new installed use the same MountedDevices string.

This assumption is false today.

E.g. Windwos 7 use a different MountedDevices. http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=863404

A string RemovableMedia#7&*&0 is used very often.

There is a example machine with ControlSet007 http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=852520

ParentIdPrefix: 8&141a0a73&0

ParentIdPrefix: 8&207c63a1&0

A new installed windwos use

ParentIdPrefix: 7&141a0a73&0

ParentIdPrefix: 7&207c63a1&0

Old and new windows crates different ParentIdPrefix.

RemovableMedia#8&*&0 hat to be changed to RemovableMedia#7&*&0.

Another example shows a different behaviour http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=880180

ParentIdPrefix 8&35debb9c&0 is used at current running and new installed windows.

This is different to the previous example.

A clear solution is missing so far.

@ilko_t

I've only RemovableMedia#7&*&0.

U: and W: is a good idea as a work arround.

Added:

I've found a machine with

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum]

"NextParentID.1168ba30.7"=dword:00000002

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\STORAGE\RemovableMedia\7&1168ba30&0&RM]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\STORAGE\RemovableMedia\7&1168ba30&1&RM]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_USB_2.0&Prod_SD_MMC_Reader&Rev__\...]

"ParentIdPrefix"="7&1168ba30&1"

NextParentID 1168ba30.7 reminds to ParentIdPrefix 7&1168ba30.

And the dword seems to be a counter to RemovableMedia#?&*&N

New assumption: this counter is set to zero at new installation.

If a error occour (bad connections) and windows redetect the hardware, this counter is increase by one.

Added 2:

Overall there is a new approach, set up to three letters. Thanks to ilko_t.

U: MountedDevices as read from current running windows, XP style assumed

T: RemovableMedia adjusted: counter set to zero: RemovableMedia#?&*&0

S: RemovableMedia adjusted: counter set to zero and 7 set: RemovableMedia#7&*&0

MkMigratgeInf_c.cmd

Edited by cdob

@macster

Did you prepare on AND install Windows to the same machine?

If yes- does it have USB card reader?

If no- does both machines have USB card readers?

Can you test with the attached migrate.inf, does USB stick get letter U:? If doesn't work- change the second U: to W:.

Yes, I was able to prepare two installs for the same system in series and they both got the U: reference with the same file. Thanks. :)

As fas as a USB card reader, I really don't understand what you mean. I have a USB hub connected to system as well as other USB printers (HP Deskjet 932C, HP Photosmart C3180 All-in-one) but these don't don't have drivers loaded as of yet when your program was running. If you are meaning a USB SD memory chip reader (the type that goes into phones and cameras), I have one of those on the C3180, but like I said earlier the drivers weren't loaded for it and I didn't see anything in the Device Manager in regards to this not being identified. Further more the printer has of yet to be turned on, it is kept off until needed - so XP doesn't even know of its existance until I turn it on. I hope this helps.

@cdob

I am trying your last version of the MkMigrate script. I will let you know if it works. thanks.

Edited by Macster