Windows 7 Classic Start Menu.... is here.

jim2029

Actually, the English word menu comes from the old French "menu", which itself comes from the Latin minutus, ultimately meaning "small" or "tiny". Given that the "start" menu in Win7 (it's not a start button anymore, obviously, but I'll call it that as that's it's commonly accepted name) really is a smaller representation of a larger list that you can search for what you want to find, it actually lives up to it's grammatical monicker much more accurately than the "classic" start menu found in previous versions of Windows did. Just nitpicking ;).

Joking aside, if people want to replace the current menu with the old-style start menu, then they should use the tools and do it. However, ultimately Microsoft decided that it was time to give the old start menu/taskbar a little work, and in version 2 of the new menu they've removed access to the old one. Given Microsoft has stated that part of the reason for removal was that they no longer share the same code base, it does make sense from a practical perspective. However, the folks that feel super strongly about this should be voicing their concerns to Microsoft, as screaming on the internet about it won't be much more productive than screaming into a pillow.

Even I have no hope - but I want to ask:

In Windows Vista you have the ability to switch from "new start menu" to "classic start menu" in configuration of the taskbar via GUI. I think there must be a corresponding registry key. I haven't found this registry key. Even when I log the registry changes with "ProcessMonitor" I can not find the registry changes. Do somebody knows this registry key to switch in Vista from "new start menu" to "classic start menu" ?

My thought is: Perhaps Microsoft has only dropped the GUI switch in Windows 7. And perhaps the classic start menu can be switched on by a registry key.

Because: Microsoft has also dropped some GUI switches in Windows 7 Starter (change of desktop picture) and Home Basic.

But see this: Group Policy Settings for Start Menu and Taskbar

"Force Classic Start Menu":

For: Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP

Remark: This policy setting does not apply to Windows 7 because the Classic Start menu is removed.

Why is it available for "Windows Server 2008" - but not for "Windows 7" ?

@unawave - Do you think that this multi-page topic about 3rd party software is here because there's a simple registry key to provide that same functionality? Which part of, they no longer share the same code base, suggests to you that a simple registry key change will help you to switch between the new Start Menu and one which no longer exists?

Do you think that this multi-page topic about 3rd party software is here because there's a simple registry key to provide that same functionality?
OK - but this is not the answer to my question. Do somebody know the registry key to switch from "new menu" to "classic menu" in Vista ? I do search in Google and found nothing. So: Have anybody tried this ?
they no longer share the same code base
Says Microsoft. I don't have the ability to check the code. Do you have ?
suggests to you that a simple registry key change will help you to switch between the new Start Menu and one which no longer exists?
You also can not change the desktop background picture in Windows 7 Starter - but some OEMs can ...

And funny: What for is the Group Policy Setting for "Force Classic Start Menu" - when the functionality isn't build in ?

OK - but this is not the answer to my question. Do somebody know the registry key to switch from "new menu" to "classic menu" in Vista ? I do search in Google and found nothing. So: Have anybody tried this ?
Before this conversation escalates to the point of no return, please be aware that
  1. Argumentative comments are unlikely to help you get responses
  2. You're not going to get a response to a question about the registry settings in Windows Vista within a Topic about third party software within the Windows 7 Forum.

But see this: Group Policy Settings for Start Menu and Taskbar

"Force Classic Start Menu"

Key:   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Value: NoSimpleStartMenu
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 1

This came from startmenu.admx, the policy that contains this setting that you saw - in the future, if you find a policy that sets something you want to do, just start looking around in the .adm and/or .admx files, and you'll find what you're looking for.

Key:   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
Value: NoSimpleStartMenu
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 1

Thank you. But I think this key is not for switching between "new menu" and "classic menu" in Vista (I just tried this). It mainly suppresses the appearing of the switch in the GUI.

Correct - one must still choose the classic menu, and this changes the shell's load point for the start menu. I believe this is stored in a preference hex blob in the user's profile, but I honestly don't remember where (I used to know for XP, but I never bothered figuring out for Vista), and I don't know if you can copy it from one profile to another and have it actually work either, even if you do find it.

I don't know if anyone has seen this but...

dq24qgm4dy7d8.jpg

Using CSMenu with Start Killer you can have the classic start menu. You use start killer to remove the Win 7 Start menu button (It is still accassible with the Windows button) and then you copy the CSMenu program to the quick launch.... and there it is.

I just found this, but I didn't know if anyone else had found it....

EDIT: This is a little buggy.... use with caution.

who would want windows classic menu any way windows 7's is alot easyer to use :rolleyes:

This thread so derailed from where it was when it started. If people want 7 to look like 95/98 and someone made a program that does that great. But i have to agree that it was time for "Classic" mode to go. 7's menu system could not be easier especially for someone who is a first time user.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread so derailed from where it was when it started. If people want 7 to look like 95/98 and someone made a program that does that great. But i have to agree that it was time for "Classic" mode to go. 7's menu system could not be easier especially for someone who is a first time user.

When I have my working desk and I put some book on it or some document, when I come tomorrow to my job, I want that document to be in the same place. If cleaning lady (or secretary) moved it to the left, to the right, or pt all the document one on the top of the other, she will be warned, next time will be fired.

So, Classic Start menu had the possibility to put the things right there I wanted. Now, with new concept, you always have to search for your programs in "Start Menu", you always have to read and I loose serious time finding what I want. Now, I have (again) started to use desktop - I have to put all icons I often use to the desktop?!? Is that a progres????

NO! I don't want to type the names of the programs to be abel to find them? Sometimes, I don't even remember the names of the programs in the moment, but I know where it is and I know how its icon looks and I just click on it and that is it.

This whole new Start menu was probably promoted just because new Windows7 mobile will have the same menu concept (for new touch screen phones where MS probably hopes to make a boom) and nothing else.

This is bad concept, it is not good to force users to know by heart the names of the programs and, for you who think new Start menu is "the best thing", ok, you are so clever (or payed by MS) but do you really think that so many people who like old Classic Start menu deserve the right to choose???

What abaut if car manufacturers force all of us to drive just blue cars???

This is bad move for MS :-(