Parallel Ethernet Networks

I have searched at length for this in several places, no luck…..

I have several computers that have two separate Ethernet controllers ( In other words, each computer can connect to two different networks.)

What I would like to do is set up two completely separate parallel networks using two hubs. It would go like this:

Computer #1-----Ethernet A-192.168.1.X-----Ethernet B-192.168.2.X

Computer #2-----Ethernet A-192.168.1.X-----Ethernet B-192.168.2.X

Computer #3-----Ethernet A-192.168.1.X-----Ethernet B-192.168.2.X

One hub for the 192.168.1.X network and another hub for the 192.168.2.X network.

Each computer would be on both networks.

Finally, I want to share files on one network but not the other.

Does anyone know if either Windows Vista or Windows XP is capable of sharing files and printers on one network but not the other?

Thanks for any thoughts on this or if you could suggest the right Google search phrase!

pollock

:)

@g-force : Umm, subnetting has nothing to do with what he wants. Please take the time to "read" the question properly before answering.

@sober_pollock : The question is... to DHCP or not to DHCP? In other words, is there going to be a router on each network? Also, what is the goal that you wish to accomplish by having a second network for file sharing?

@sober_pollock : The question is... to DHCP or not to DHCP? In other words, is there going to be a router on each network? Also, what is the goal that you wish to accomplish by having a second network for file sharing?

No.....No DHCP.....Everything will have an asigned address.....One network will have a DSL modem and several more computers on it. Those computers will be only on one of the two networks and it is the network that I do not want to be able to share files on.

I'm just going to try it because I think it will be as simple as disabling "File And Printer Sharing" in the properties of one network and enabling it in the other.

But I'm not sure..... :rolleyes:

OH.....And I couldn't really see what this had to do with subnetting either.....But I now know where to find lots of calculators I don't need :thumbup

pollock

He looked for "Google Phrase", and "Subnetting" would have led him to tutorials like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subnetting

If I missed the point or got it wrong, I`m sorry.

That's great, except that's not what he wants to do at all and sending down that road when it doesn't involve anything he's doing will simply add to confusion.
No.....No DHCP.....Everything will have an asigned address.....One network will have a DSL modem and several more computers on it. Those computers will be only on one of the two networks and it is the network that I do not want to be able to share files on.

I'm just going to try it because I think it will be as simple as disabling "File And Printer Sharing" in the properties of one network and enabling it in the other.

But I'm not sure..... :rolleyes:

OH.....And I couldn't really see what this had to do with subnetting either.....But I now know where to find lots of calculators I don't need :thumbup

pollock

That's pretty much it. If you're using DSL on the first network, for the purpose of this explanation, I'll assume you're using a router and that it's address is 192.168.1.1

For each network card in the first network, assign a static IP address in the 192.168.1.x range, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and use 192.168.1.1 as the gateway. You can also use either 192.168.1.1 as your DNS or something like 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS).

Now for each network card in the second network, assign a static IP address in the 192.168.2.x range, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Leave the default gateway and DNS entries empty.

Now, in the network connections folder on each computer, go to Advanced Settings in the menu (under Advanced). For the first network card, ensure that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and "Client for Microsoft Networks" are unchecked, then for the second network card, ensure that both of those options are checked. Also, use the up/down arrows next to the "Connections" list and move the first network card so it's above the second. This allows applications such as your webbrowser to check the internet before trying to search the 2nd network.

That's pretty much it. If you're using DSL on the first network, for the purpose of this explanation, I'll assume you're using a router and that it's address is 192.168.1.1

For each network card in the first network, assign a static IP address in the 192.168.1.x range, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and use 192.168.1.1 as the gateway. You can also use either 192.168.1.1 as your DNS or something like 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS).

Now for each network card in the second network, assign a static IP address in the 192.168.2.x range, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Leave the default gateway and DNS entries empty.

Now, in the network connections folder on each computer, go to Advanced Settings in the menu (under Advanced). For the first network card, ensure that "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks" and "Client for Microsoft Networks" are unchecked, then for the second network card, ensure that both of those options are checked. Also, use the up/down arrows next to the "Connections" list and move the first network card so it's above the second. This allows applications such as your webbrowser to check the internet before trying to search the 2nd network.

Thanks guys.....That's exactly what I plan on trying.....I just feel like I'm missing some thing.....

pollock