64-bit vista with 32-bit key

rculver9056

I am re-installing my brothers' laptop (A compaq presario), and just noticed that all the OEM crap went back on with it, so I want to use my own OEM disk to do a fresh installation.

However, I just noticed that the processor is 64-bit - But Windows (Vista Home Premium) is 32-bit - So I have a couple of questions:

Any reason that I shouldn't intall the 64-bit Home Premium? - If not, why the hell install the 32-bit version anyway...?!

Will the product key work with the 64-bit version of Home Premium?

Ta in advance!

Unless it's a royalty OEM key (and even then, only *some* are architecture-specific), a product key is a product key, regardless of the architecture. The key is specific to the version of Windows, not if it's an x86 or x64 variant of it.

Yes, the key worked fine! Thanks, Cluberti :-)

One more quick question - There is also one of those restore partitions that I want to get rid of to do a restore of what I install now -

Is there a way to back this up AND store the info about it (Type etc)? Is there a tool that I won't have to pay through the teeth for that'll do it?

Ok, an update:

Yes, it was fine - Activated OK too.

The only 'problem' was that I got two of the digits on the product key the wrong way round when I entered it during setup (xt instead of tx or something).

Anyway, that must've been a valid key too, because setup accepted it. When I came to activate, I had to enter the key again, and it was then that I noticed the mistake.

Chances of keys like that? Slim lol!

Anyway, thanks to all for your input.