multiboot of xp also needs virtual floppy

The winner is grub4dos, no addional driver required.

fujianabc described virtual floppy usage http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=77011

:thumbup

Being proved wrong ;) after only 5 days:

You may use grub4dos to load virtual floppy to RAM.

Textmode part does find the file and use them.

However windows setup copy part won't find the files using windows drivers.

I don't known a virtual floppy available at windwos setup.

definitely beats the Absolutely Unofficial Record I held before :ph34r::

http://home.graffiti.net/jaclaz:graffiti.n...SB/USBfaqs.html

if I remember correctly it took Dietmar a few weeks time to prove me wrong...... :whistle:

:P

jaclaz

P.S.:BTW, it seems like doubleoseverin is a really lucky guy :hello:

Edited by jaclaz

Being proved wrong ;) after only 5 days:
It's more than 5 days, more several years, actually since d4vr0s's message http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=20543

And real worse

I strongly doubt virtual F6 floppy solution for a XP installation.
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?s=&...st&p=152244

I prefer to learn to correct false knowledge.

I just installed XP from a RAM loaded image. A default XP ISO image was used.

Addional files are at a F6 virtual floppy.

At second glance, setup dosn't support this kind of virtual floppy fully.

Read: the virtual floppy is processed automatic, you can't use F6.

Setup dosn't find the virtual floppy.

You have to adjust txtsetup.oem [Defaults] SCSI entry.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms794593.aspx

And there are drivers pair http://http.download.nvidia.com/Windows/nF...Shield_UGv5.pdf

This requires to load two drivers

"NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required)"

"NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller (required)"

The question is open still: how to use a full supported F6 virtual floppy?

If I get it right, it means that fujianabc's method only works for a "single" driver.

Maybe I read "wrongly" your previous reports, but it seemed to me that the point was (re-connecting with d4vr0s' original post/thread) that the grub4dos "normal" mapping to (fdx) of a file was:

• available during text setup (and should have "full" F6 floppy access)
  • missing/failing in GUI mode

Wouldn't that mean that by adding in the floppy also the firadisk driver and adding to the BOOT.INI the parameters karyonix posted:

http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...=8804&st=64

the floppy should be:

• "full" F6 accessible during textmode part (mapped by grub4dos)
  • "full" F6 accesd during GUI part (mapped by firadisk)

So, we would have a "simple" way for "single" drivers and a "complex" way for "multiple" drivers. :unsure:

My guess is, that even if still experimental, firadisk is working allright in current releases for a floppy loading.

jaclaz

If I get it right, it means that fujianabc's method only works for a "single" driver.

The work arround work for a single driver at a single setting.

Default iastor.sys expect to use F6 and select a appropiate line.

Default match one setting only, a lot of HardwareID are not supported that way.

[Defaults]
scsi = iaStor_8ME9MEPCHM

;#############################################################################
[scsi]

; iaAHCI.inf
iaAHCI_ESB2 = "Intel® ESB2 SATA AHCI Controller"
iaAHCI_7RDH = "Intel® ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller"
iaAHCI_7MMDH = "Intel® ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller"
iaAHCI_8RDHDO = "Intel® ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller"
iaAHCI_8MEM = "Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"
iaAHCI_9RDODH = "Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller"
iaAHCI_9MEM = "Intel® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"
iaAHCI_10DDO = "Intel® ICH10D/DO SATA AHCI Controller"
iaAHCI_10R = "Intel® ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller"
iaAHCI_PCHM = "Intel® PCHM SATA AHCI Controller 4 Port"
iaAHCI_PCHM_1 = "Intel® PCHM SATA AHCI Controller 6 Port"
iaAHCI_PCH = "Intel® PCH SATA AHCI Controller"

; iaStor.inf
iaStor_ESB2 = "Intel® ESB2 SATA RAID Controller"
iaStor_7RDH = "Intel® ICH7R/DH SATA RAID Controller"
iaStor_7MDH = "Intel® ICH7MDH SATA RAID Controller"
iaStor_8R9R10RDOPCH = "Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO/PCH SATA RAID Controller"
iaStor_8ME9MEPCHM = "Intel® ICH8M-E/ICH9M-E/PCHM SATA RAID Controller"

Wouldn't that mean that by adding in the floppy also the firadisk driver
Actually this was my intention back then: http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=76974
My guess is, that even if still experimental, firadisk is working allright in current releases for a floppy loading.
Old Firadisk version didn't support this back then, but does it now.

Yes, firadisk is the missing driver.

Add firadisk to the floppy image. There is no need to edit boot.ini.

At F6 load three drivers, firadisk and the two hardware drivers.

Add firadisk.sys to root directory

TxtSetup.oem File Format http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms794587.aspx

;to section [scsi]
firadisk = "FiraDisk Virtual Disk"

[Files.scsi.firadisk]
driver = d1, firadisk.sys,firadisk

[Config.firadisk]

d1 is a example, has to be set at Disks section.

Example

[Disks]

d1 = "NVIDIA RAID DRIVER (SCSI)",\disk1,\

menu.lst

title  nvgts.ima firadisk
map --mem /Inst/nvgts.ima (fd0)
map --hook
chainloader /SETUPLDR.BIN

To summary:

A addional driver is requiered for full F6 virtual image :whistle:

Contrary the double floppy (fd0) (fd1) approach is nice for most drivers.

Remember F6 wont work, edit [Defaults] section to your needs.

Well, now I am completely lost. :(

I am probably just a bit tough, or tired, or both :w00t: but your explanation made things foggier that I thought they were before.

Can you, when you have time, post a COMPLETE example (as opposed to bits and pieces scattered in one liners on three different threads, one on boot-land and two here on MSFN) for each of the two approaches? :unsure:

jaclaz

At second glance, setup dosn't support this kind of virtual floppy fully.

Read: the virtual floppy is processed automatic, you can't use F6.

Setup dosn't find the virtual floppy.

You have to adjust txtsetup.oem [Defaults] SCSI entry.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms794593.aspx

And there are drivers pair http://http.download.nvidia.com/Windows/nF...Shield_UGv5.pdf

This requires to load two drivers

"NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required)"

"NVIDIA NForce Storage Controller (required)"

The question is open still: how to use a full supported F6 virtual floppy?

I have given a solution(without firadisk) at wuyou in chinease(with detail figures) for a few months on how to install xp/2003 to a SATA/RAID hard disk with CDROM and without physical floppies:

http://bbs.wuyou.com/viewthread.php?tid=14...&highlight=

Another solution with firadisk v0.0.1.12 is available to install xp/2003 iso:

http://bbs.wuyou.com/viewthread.php?tid=14...;extra=page%3D2

Edited by pseudo

I have given a solution(without firadisk) at wuyou in chinease(with detail figures) for a few months on how to install xp/2003 to a SATA/RAID hard disk with CDROM and without physical floppies:
Thanks. That's awesome grub4dos usage too.

Can you clarify some details?

Txtsetup.oem does contain a empty [Defaults] section.

Do I have to set a [Defaults] entry?

Or does windows load all [scsi] drivers by default?

Yes, firadisk v0.0.1.12 does solve this. I'm using this too in the mean time.

Thanks. That's awesome grub4dos usage too.

Can you clarify some details?

Txtsetup.oem does contain a empty [Defaults] section.

Do I have to set a [Defaults] entry?

Or does windows load all [scsi] drivers by default?

Yes, firadisk v0.0.1.12 does solve this. I'm using this too in the mean time.

Yes, we have invented a way to use grub4dos, called "Programmed Menu", which can be found in pseudo's 0PE and chenall's MicroPE on wuyou forum.

The menuitems of booting 0PE.ISO or MicroPE.ISO have been listed in sample menu.lst of grub4dos release.

You may notice some files, such as F6.ZIP, is not an .img format file. There are many drivers in F6.ZIP including Intel, VIA, SIS, etc. These drivers will be the contents of the virtual floppies.

The program detects the HardwareIds of the hard disk and sets a appropriate [Defaults] entry automatically.

Windows load the defaults driver only. You don't need to press F6.

Yes, we have invented a way to use grub4dos, called "Programmed Menu", which can be found in pseudo's 0PE and chenall's MicroPE on wuyou forum.

Since you read and write both Chinese and English, you appear not to consider how difficult can be for a "westerner" to access the wuyou Forum. :unsure:

Through Google translate it is often impossible to navigate Chinese sites, if they use .gif or .jpeg with ideograms which of course the translator cannot see "properly" and translate, and the language is so different that it is very difficult to understand the translated text anyway.

Any chance you can post a few direct links to the relevant pages?

Or create on boot-land an English Topic for those?

jaclaz

Edited by jaclaz

Since you read and write both Chinese and English, you appear not to consider how difficult can be for a "westerner" to access the wuyou Forum. :unsure:

Through Google translate it is often impossible to navigate Chinese sites, if they use .gif or .jpeg with ideograms which of course the translator cannot see "properly" and translate, and the language is so different that it is very difficult to understand the translated text anyway.

Any chance you can post a few direct links to the relevant pages?

Or create on boot-land an English Topic for those?

jaclaz

Sorry for my poor English, it was the first time I logged into a foreign website and wrote something in English. A friend named fujianabc introduced me to this site.

I would like to create on boot-land an English topic on programed menu of grub4dos after my English skills improved.

The post#15 on the grub4dos Chinese forum is in English. It shares a link of 0PE.ISO.

If you have simplified chinese windows xp/2003 installed on hard disk, it can boot into windows pe desktop and do more things if all goes well. I have not tried on an English version.

Fortunately, the functions of 0PE about installing XP/2003 to a SATA/RAID hard disk via CD or ISO (menuitem [4] User Menu with F6.ZIP and menuitem [A] Setup /WIN$.ISO) are all in English.

0PE first made SATA / RAID driver floppy disk emulation (sometimes also done iso CD-ROM emulation), and then transferred to user-defined grub4dos menu.

Through this menu, users can continue to install the system in the normal way or do otherthing.

In particular, when you have a CD, you do not need an integrated SATA/RAID drivers to it. The installation process do not need to press F6 (this feature does not depend on the firadisk).

The specified file /MYISO.ISO or /WIN$.ISO will be used when you have no CD. /WIN$.ISO can also be placed on pxe server.

If your driver is not included in F6.ZIP, you can simply pack your driver files, as /OEM_SRS.ZIP (txtsetup.oem must be located in the package of the most top-level), it will take precedence over F6.ZIP.

It exists in the way of independent components.

Its advantages were not concerned about the CD/ISO content. Nor modify the CD/ISO or hard disk content.

Therefore, it can be used to start other pe, to provide SATA / RAID driver support, or provide a permanent virtual CD, floppy disk support.

I would like to point out that key consideration here is the SATA/RAID, non-integrated, non-modified, and independent component.

First thing let me reassure you: your English, whilst maybe not being "from Oxford", is good enough, and very easy to understand, at least for another not native English speaking guy. :)

If you need any help in refining the English sentences of your future thread on bootland, or you need anything to start it, just PM me and I'll try my best in order to help you.

Thanks for the link, I will look at the 0PE and see what I can understand of it.

jaclaz

First thing let me reassure you: your English, whilst maybe not being "from Oxford", is good enough, and very easy to understand, at least for another not native English speaking guy. :)

If you need any help in refining the English sentences of your future thread on bootland, or you need anything to start it, just PM me and I'll try my best in order to help you.

Thanks for the link, I will look at the 0PE and see what I can understand of it.

jaclaz

Thank you jaclaz.

Climbing in the znpc forum has introduced you, so I heard your name a long time ago. Thank you for your encouragement.

I will try to discuss with you in English, but also want you to guide the forum in China.

Now, let me introduce related research in China wuyou forums (before firadisk).

We have also studied the virtual SATA / RAID driver floppy problem encountered during installation, in wuyou forums. For example, in my topic, the post#1251 to post#1272.

And we get some of the conclusions in the June 4, 2009, in the post#1251 (google translation):

Significant progress, as long as FD0 load a non-SCSC mirror (I wonder if the empty okay, anyway, can not have TXTSETUP.OEM), FD1 load a SCSI image, you can successfully installed. Thank CHENALL much!

Please PSEUDO changed a bit procedure, by the way change it F6.ISO

I use the following tests, the default SCSI Custom

map - mem / NOSCSI.IMG (fd0)

map - mem / F6.IMG (fd1)

map - hook

chainloader (hd0) 1

Successfully installed!

This important discovery should be attributed to chenall and zhaohj. On that day, I realized this method and gives an independent component in post#5.

At this point, emulation driver floppy problem satisfactorily resolved.

Two months later, I made a topic, gives a detailed graphic tutorial. In the topic post#7, chenall further gives a grub4dos menu, only one image file is needed to be simulation of two floppy disks (google translation):

After I install the system test several times and found the virtual two disks at the same time the best, 100% can use it. At least I have not come across can not be identified.

I GRUB4DOS main menu

# Whole file to find OEM_SCSI.IMG

find - set-root / oem_scsi.img

# Find and map (fd1)

map - mem / oem_scsi.img (fd1)

# Directly to the virtual one blank (fd0)

map - mem (md) 0x8000 +1440 (fd0)

map - hook

# At this time (fd0) is generally inaccessible to, the following sentence to make it accessible.

# Makes this blank (fd0) can access. (Of course, can also be constructed by hand, I have to make life easier fd1 directly to the first sector of a dd over a), using the root (fd0) / there will be a error but do not ignore it, As long as you can access on it.

dd if = (fd1) of = (fd0) count = 1

Thanks for the update/info :). I will try studying a bit the given info, but I guess it will take me some time....

WARNING:

@all

Generic problem already found elsewhere:

Google translates REMOVES "double minus signs":

--

REPLACING them with "single minus sign [space];

"single minus" are left UNTOUCHED.

Be very aware that the grub4dos menu.lst example "filtered" by Google WON'T work with copy and paste, example, this:

find - set-root / oem_scsi.img

# Find and map (fd1)

map - mem / oem_scsi.img (fd1)

map - mem (md) 0x8000 +1440 (fd0)

map - hook

NEEDS to be written in menu.lst as follows:

find --set-root / oem_scsi.img
# Find and map (fd1)
map --mem / oem_scsi.img (fd1)
map --mem (md) 0x8000 +1440 (fd0)
map --hook

jaclaz