Why are my default user profille taskbar settings lost after syspreppi

I have been wrestling with a problem when trying to create a W2K8 R2 sysprepped image. The default profile modifications are not included after sysprepping with the copyprofile option. If there is anyone that can assist I would be forever greatful. These are the steps I have followed:

- Installed W2K8 R2 onto virtual server (VMWARE) and configured OS

- Logged on with local admin account and configured default profile. Made changes such as new desktop folders, desktop shortcuts, pnned taskbar items, added a quick launch toolbar, and modified the desktop background color.

- Deleted the current C:\Users\Default folder and created a new empty C:\Users\Default folder

-created sysprep.xml with copyprofile set to true in the specialize phase

-Ran sysprep (under the local admin account mentioned above) with the following command line c:\windows system32\sysprep\sysprep.exe /generalize /oobe /reboot /unattend:C:\windows\system32\sysprep\sysprep.xml

Sysprep proceeds and appears to complete successfully. I log onto the machine with a profile that has not logged on before and the default profile that is copied over appears to not inlcude all of my modifications. It keeps any folders, files, or shortcuts on the desktop. It does not keep desktop background color, taskbar pinned items, and quick launch toolbar. Is there anyone out there that can help pinpoint why these settings are not included in the default profile by the copyprofile option?

I had this issue too.

When you sysprep you have to have <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile> in the unattend.xml

As well you need ot have that in your answer file when deploying the captured wim. the machine waking up form sysprep wont have an answer file so it wont use the admin account as the default user.

This is from the WAIK help file

Note:

If you capture an image after the generalize phase of Windows Setup has completed (that is, after step 4 in the procedure earlier in this topic), and you use that image to install Windows with an explicit Unattend.xml answer file passed to Setup.exe, then the explicit Unattend.xml answer file must have CopyProfile set to true, otherwise the customized user profile will not be copied over the default user profile.

also i dont think you need to delete the default user folder.

My issue now that this is working for me but it is not bringing over the customized taskbar prepopulated with a couple things like Outlook and Word.

<DoNotCleanTaskBar>true</DoNotCleanTaskBar> i would have thought would have handled it but doesnt seem to effect it in anyway.

Thanks for the reply Tehcnomyke, but I am using the <CopyProfile>true</CopyProfile> in the unattend.xml. I think that I wasn't clear in my previous post. Parts of the customized default user profile do get copied to new user profiles so I know that the copyprofile option is working in the unattend.xml.

My problem is that the taskbar pinned items, taskbar toolbars, and desktop background color do not get ported over in the default user profile. Desktop folders and files do get ported over which is how I know the copyprofile feature is working.

Can anyone assist?

• 1 year later...

Sysprep is ONLY for updating Windows and for Installing Programs its NOT for user settings

if you want user settings you need to goto Regedit and export the settings and install the .Reg file during Windows Install using SetupComplete.CMD in the Sources/$OEM$/Setup/Scripts Folder

Edited by marcusj0015