File Copy Slowing Down after a Few seconds

strike101

I just replaced my secondary harddrive with a new one ( 1TB WD SATA )

problem is that whenever i copy files from my primary drive to the new drive , it slows down overtime

the transfer rate starts around 70-80mbps , will slow down to 30-40mb after 6-8 seconds.... and will drop down to around 5mb

tried moving the new drive into another system with vista... and file transfer rate was fast

already check for DMA settings and Write Caching

transfer rates tend to start out really fast and then drop, so 30-40 i wouldn't be surprised about at all, especially if the source drive is a few years old or more.

if it gets down to 5 then there may be a problem, or is it just copying many small files when it hits that speed?

If you are seeing speeds that low, but are copying thousands (I mean, thousands) of files, sometimes those speeds are "normal" but should speed up quite fast and stay at leas at 20-25mb.

Maybe your security software is slowing things down. Try disabling it and try to copy the files again to rule that out.

File copy speed estimations can only come from "amount of data transferred in the last X seconds", so the initial guesstimates cannot be accurate.

Speed of copying files can be affected by:

- amount of system cache available

- filter drivers such as AV or backup agents (also firewall filter drivers if the copy goes over a network)

- fragmentation of the source data

- location on the physical disk platter where the data resides: the closer to the end of the disk, the lower the read/write performance

well, ubuntu blows all xfer speeds away xfering a 100gig's in less then 3-5 minutes is wonderful, Win 7 on multi configurations on multi machines cannot do this at all, i guess because the way windows is written. but using teracopy or ect stables the xfer and is faster.

bonezzz, your post is almost completely irrelevant - you save yourself with suggesting other utilities, but overall it screams of flamebait. As to the OP, I'd have to say that I'm getting pretty much full saturation of a Gb link when copying large (multi-GB) files and thousands of small files (under 10k) from a Win7 machine to a 2008 R2 box, and only slightly less when copying to 2003 servers and an XP machine.

The behavior is manifesting as if it was a filter driver, network driver, or even switch issue to me. I cannot repro this, and I'm copying from a physical HP workstation running Win7 to physical and virtual hosts running a few different Windows OSes as above.