using group policy to disable user account rights

itachis.eyes

ok so i opened up "gpedit.msc" and started editing under "user configuration" but its adding the changes to my administrator account....how can i just lock down the user accounts and leave my admin account open to do whatever i need?

the reason i'm doing this is we're setting up a computer for my little brother (he is the super computer illiterate type that just clicks everything) but anyway he is having a user account but, in the user account you can still access cmd.exe and all that good stuff i just want to make it so he has a bare bones account that can only run the software i install and can't change any settings

Local Group Policy isn't that granular - if you apply a user policy, it's going to apply any and all settings under "User Configuration" to all users. You can configure some security settings under the Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings and it's subtrees, but most of those are account and login policies, rather than the things you're probably after under User Configuration (my guess).

Since you posted this under XP, consider instead using Windows SteadyState to keep him from harming the PC, rather than trying to do it via policy.

Local Group Policy isn't that granular - if you apply a user policy, it's going to apply any and all settings under "User Configuration" to all users. You can configure some security settings under the Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings and it's subtrees, but most of those are account and login policies, rather than the things you're probably after under User Configuration (my guess).

Since you posted this under XP, consider instead using Windows SteadyState to keep him from harming the PC, rather than trying to do it via policy.

thanks. looks good, i'll try it out.

but that sparks a question...

so then since policy effects all computers on the network, is this how system admins restrict things, like at my high school anyone with a user account can't to anything, not even open up command prompt, but the administrator/tech guy has an admin account with full rights and power. does he do that with a program like this or with registry editing?

local group policies are different from the domain group policies they use at your school, you can get a bit more granular with domain policies. And there are other things you can do to lock down systems on a domain.

local group policies are different from the domain group policies they use at your school, you can get a bit more granular with domain policies. And there are other things you can do to lock down systems on a domain.

awesome, thanks for enlightening me, i like to think i know a good deal about computers (at least for a kid who hasn't really taken any computer science classes at any level) but when it comes to the registry i feel like a little kid XD but really its useful stuff, at least until i learn how to use it i can appreciate its power within the computer/network