fltmgr.sys - vLite won't run....

PopSmith

So I tired to vLite Windows 7 today and I got the popup saying it needed File System Filter Manager. The problem is, my nLite CD of Windows XP SP3 doesn't have the file on it, according to vLite. It won't let me go past the popup, clicking the "X" just quits vLite.

Does anyone know where I can get this file? I found this Microsoft link but I can't figure out how to download/install the file. :blushing:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/filterdrv/default.mspx

Does anyone know of a way to fix this? I would rather not do what appears to be the alternative of Install Windows 7 -> nLite the DVD -> Reinstall Windows 7.

You have got to install WAIK. Sometimes you will need to manually install fltmgr if running on XP

fltmgr.sys can also be found on a vista dvd or installation in C:\Windows\System32\drivers

WindowsXP-KB914882-x86-ENU.exe http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

This hotfix was released for windows Xp sp2, but you are running on a SP3 machine so the driver is included, or should be. That's why I edited my post.

edit: It is a bug with WSUS. There is a workaround though so WU will show that update. Manually (or via GPO) create a key on the Windows XP SP3 client pc with the name "KB914882" in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\HotFix]

Than FCS is deployed automatically via WSUS.

Edited by atolica

Thanks for the help atolica. I grabbed fltmgr.sys off my sister's Vista installation and it worked like a charm. :thumbup

I then uninstalled vLite 1.2, installed vLite 1.1.6 then upgraded to 1.2 in order to workaround having to download the 1.3GB WAIK installer. vLite 1.2 now runs "normally". :lol:

Thanks again for your help!