NETDOM in Win7

So in XP and Vista, I use NETDOM after imaging to join the computer to the domain and then rename the computer (and its AD account) if necessary.

I noticed that Win7 didn't work with the old copy of NETDOM that I used for XP and Vista, but I see that a copy gets installed when you install the RSAT (Remote Server Administration Tools).

However, if you take the RSAT copy and move it to another machine that does not have RSAT installed, it doesn't work - when you launch it, it just exits without any output. (As a matter of fact, even if you move it to a different machine that does have RSAT installed, it still doesn't work!)

I would use the PowerShell cmdlet Add-Computer, but I need to rename the computer in the same operation without restarting, which I was able to do under XP and Vista with NETDOM (NETDOM ADD and then NETDOM RENAMECOMPUTER).

Any ideas, or has anyone else experienced this issue? If you add your machines to the domain post-imaging, how are you doing it?

Edited by fuscob

I do this with a script:

Install RSAT (After you have extracted the tools):

start /w pkgmgr /n:%SystemDrive%\Install\RSAT\Windows6.1-KB958830-x86.xml

Enable some RSAT tools (including NETDOM)

start /w pkgmgr /iu:RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-DS-SnapIns;RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-DS;RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD;RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles;RemoteServerAdministrationTools

I essentially do the same as you except I use a VB script to rename the computer.

So you did - not sure how I missed it. Anyway, I'd probably suggest looking into using powershell a bit, as this is fairly easily done in powershell.

Yes, I've found all of those solutions - believe it or not, I actually do some research before I post ;)

Unfortunately, they require the computer to be restarted before the new name can be applied, which doesn't work out for me.

With NETDOM, I use NETDOM ADD to add the machine with its current name, and then give the user the option to rename the computer (and its corresponding Active Directory account) with NETDOM RENAMECOMPUTER.

I do this with a script:

Install RSAT (After you have extracted the tools):

start /w pkgmgr /iu:RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-DS-SnapIns;RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD-DS;RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles-AD;RemoteServerAdministrationTools-Roles;RemoteServerAdministrationTools

I essentially do the same as you except I use a VB script to rename the computer.

Thanks, I might try that method. I'll post back with my results.

• 3 months later...

Windows 7 and Vista both have their own NETDOM.EXE, for 32-bit and 64-bit.

You have to install:

Install RSAT (After you have extracted the tools): (took me awhile to find the link)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

You will then have a "c:\windows\system32\netdom.exe" that supports the 'older' Netdom syntax.

HOWEVER, IF YOU MOVE THE 'NETDOM.EXE" FROM THE 'SYSTEM32' SUB-DIR IT WILL NOT WORK???!!

IT WILL JUST 'EXIT' UPON EXECUTION??

BUT , if you WANT to move it, which i did. you have to do 'something' EXTRA.

To whatever sub-dir you move the RSAT NETDOM.EXE to :

1) FOR EXAMPLE, create a sub-dir called : %temp%\EN-US

2) COPY /Y "%SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\EN-US\NETDOM.EXE.MUI" "%TEMP%\EN-US

Then if you execute NETDOM.EXE from "%TEMP%" you should 'see' the familiar 'help'

messages..

NOTE: I have not, as of Dec 8, 2009 actually TESTED the FULL 'moved' NETDOM.EXE functionality,

but WILL in the next day or so,.

ALSO, someone made the comment that if it was moved' to another compouter it would not work also,

I will verify that statement also.

Hope this helps, as i DONT like the Powershell approach..

J P Morgan james_p_morgan@hotmail.com