Needing help! Xp with no GUI desktop

ptrut

Thank you this sounds like what i need. But please forgive for my stupidity how do i create this program what do i use.

Some links ext would be fine just point me in the right direction

I already posted for you some links.

First ones are about the "theory of operation", this one:

http://mattcollinge.wordpress.com/software...ect-and-launch/

is an app that does EXACTLY what you need, i.e. polling periodically the USB bus and recognizing (by LABEL) if a given USB stick is inserted, and if the condition is verified do something.

The snippet by Tripredacus can be translated in batch easily:

IF EXIST d:\music (
custom.exe
) else (
normal.exe
)

or in any other language, but you will need something that EITHER:

• "senses" the insertion of a USB devices and starts the above
    OR:
  • calls periodically the program

If you want to learn some batch or VBS scripting, this iste is a good starting resource:

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/

jaclaz

P.S. Maybe (and don't take it is an offence :)), if you don't know which language to use, you may want to search for existing already programmed apps, like this one (only an example):

http://www.touchjams.com/default.asp

Overview

TouchJams for Windows allows you to easily turn your Windows PC into a digital jukebox. TouchJams was designed specifically for use with a touch screen and your already existing music collection.

TouchJams supports skins with many being available for download. Skins can be customized to fit any screen resolution.

Large music library support is key with TouchJams. With test conditions of over 1,000,000 music titles, TouchJams is still very easy to use and suffers no lost in responsiveness. Minimal system requirements include 512Mb physical memory and a CPU of 300Mhz or faster.

http://www.touchjams.com/default.asp?page=features

Features

provides database/library support for: local music files, karaoke, and internet radio stations

displays music as lists of artists or album covers

supported audio file formats: MP3, WMA, OGG, FLAC, MP4, M4A

supported playlist file types: PLS, M3U, WPL

karaoke support for CDG files

automatic cross fader

Party Mode - supports public operation of the jukebox and hides predefined program functionality

on-screen keyboard for a touch screen friendly user interface

music search capabilities - search by: artist, album, and title

year filter - select the year decades for music to be active (40/50s, 60s, 70s, etc.)

genre filter - select genre for music to be active (rock, pop, rap, etc.)

top played - show music most played or by play history

now playing - show the current music being displayed and what will be playing next

music queue support: music can be randomly added to the queue or inserted at the end of the queue, whole albums can be added along with all titles by a particular artist, and song play frequency can be enabled

new songs: view music recently added

library import: detects when USB storage devices are inserted and automatically imports music into the library

fully skin-able interface where skins can be used off the TouchJams website or create your own

Amazon Web Services support for finding CD cover images - ECS4 compatible

remote control: supports Windows Media Center remotes and also the USB_UIRT remote control device

dual monitor support for karaoke and also "Now Playing" screens

10-band equalizer

(WARNING, demo only available, US$ 49.95 one time donation for full app required)

Edited by jaclaz

@ jaclaz

Thanks again for your reply

Mabe i nead to be more clear.

Ok i already have a jukebox program ( sk jukebox ) perfect for what i want.

I already got windows to start with skjukebox.exe as shell working perfect after help from you guys.

The program you sugested as far as i can see only works after windows is fully loaded and then cheacks for your program to start. Which is an avenue im am thinking of mabe taking.

What i realy wanted is like i said that if any usb sevice is plugged into the pc at boottime with a folder named MUSIC

is should boot to my custom menu program and not skjukebox.

Thanks

Peter

So can i use this in a batch or .cmd file and run as shell?

YES/NO. :unsure:

This is ONLY an example, that can be used in a batch BUT it loads EITHER a program "custom.exe" OR another program, "normal.exe", if a given path exists ("d:\music") at the time when it is executed.

You can setup CMD.EXE (the batch interpreter for .cmd scripts) as Shell, but you will have an "ugly" Console open all the time (and you CANNOT close the shell, as it will be re-started automatically).

You do seem needing to read a bit about the topic (Shell replacement and batch - or other forms of scripting) as right now you appear as not having a clear idea of how the things work.

At this point I have to ask you a question:

Is your custom menu (the one you posted a scrrenshot of) an existing app, or was the screenshot just a "mockup" to clear what you would like to achieve? :unsure:

If the custom menu actually exists in which language/script was it written into?

ANY programming language or script interpreter known to mankind will be able to replicate the behaviour of the few lines of the snippet by Tripredacus, or, in other words with which programming language and/or script interpreter are you familiar with?

jaclaz

If you are not familiar with programming, or just starting out, you may want to look into AutoIT. I have found it is, by far, the most versatile and easiest to learn, scripting engine. You can create programs with it that can run on computers that do not have AutoIT installed. There are other alternatives, such as KiX but it is limited in function, or WSH (Windows Scripting) which isn't quite as easy.